Can't stop overthinking interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entdreams47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bb

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was the question? Perhaps the interviewer was trying to see how you function under pressure?

Reactions: 2 users
The dean of admissions may bring your feedback to the committee when it discusses what the interviewer wrote about you. Putting his comments in context could help you out. Also, he could be known as a bit of a jerk (this might be the complaint they need to put him out to pasture) and adcom members will consider who is saying this about you when they assess your application.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might be surprised. He might have already decided to accept you and was toying with you to fill the time. This happened to me during my oral specialty exam. I use a similiar technique where I ask an open ended question, then argue the point opposite yours. I am trying to see how you think and if you can formulate a genuine response, rather than a canned answer. He might have taken it too far, hard to know without all the facts. If you thought he was crossing the line, you were right to make a complaint. Remember, medicine is the big leagues, and you will be playing hardball with the big boys and girls. Claiming victimhood is a learned behavior. Dont allow yourself to be one. Better to defend yourself on the spot than to count on others to do it for you. My wife is a physician and I can count on 1 finger how many times over the years I ever intervened on her behalf. I hope it all works out. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I can't stop overthinking one of my interviews with my top choice school. One went fine, but the other they asked me an inappropriate question and kept pushing and pushing me to answer after I already gave 3-4 responses. The power dynamic of a male interviewer one on one with a female applicant was upsetting me for days and I asked my mentors and they all agreed it was pushed too far in an interview setting and I wound up reporting to the dean who is a female. She was very receptive and thankful for the feedback. She did not offer me another interview.

However, it was not sitting right with me the rest of the interview even after he moved on and I feel terrible about my performance. This is my top choice and I started crying this morning rethinking some of my answers lol. I'm scared I'll be rejected because of this. Has anyone had an interview go poorly and wound up getting accepted or WL then accepted? 😖😖😖😖😖
Most people are terrible judges of their interview performances.

Reactions: 3 users
When I was doing admissions committee work, it’s important to recognize that your application in its fullest will be reviewed. Even if you have a “bad” interview it’s very unlikely that that alone would sink your application, unless you do something grossly inappropriate that is incontrovertibly a bad move. As others have mentioned, the reports provided by interviewers are also taken in context - interviewers may have a reputation for being particularly difficult, low scorers, etc. and a committee will take that into account.

You’ve done what you can do, and there’s no sense in beating yourself up about it at this point.

Reactions: 4 users