CAP in academia: Is it possible to see 50% children and 50% adults?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychferlyfe3000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am heavily considering going into CAP fellowship at my institution. Afterwards, I am leaning towards going into academia. However, I do not want to be essentially barred from seeing adults at my job! Has anyone seen academic setups where you can see a mix?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I have worked for one academic healthcare system and faculty choose what clinics to work in and how much time to devote to each. I would recommend checking into any facilities in the area you want to end up to see what they offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this is going to vary a lot. And you need to verify with other faculty if the administration is just talking a good game or if they will actually honor your preferences.

In places with good leadership they will want to make you happy and will work with you. In other places they might say things when you're negotiating but then plug you into whatever gaps they need filled as soon as the ink is dry.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, this is a reasonable ask. Some may say no, but you'll definitely find some who will say yes. Remember, you're a very desired commodity (not just CAP, but any mental health clinician).

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the financial structure of those departments/divisions. I've seen some programs where CAP is paid for by the children's hospital and the adult is paid for by the adult medical center/hospital. I imagine it's tougher in those scenarios.

It's possible to work at academia in CAP and then see adults in your PP or vice versa. Also with CAP, you may still be able to see adults up to a certain age (usually 26 years old, may be connected to insurance coverage from parents), but it's rarer to see adult clinics having a structure/policies to take on children.

It depends on the financial structure of those departments/divisions. I've seen some programs where CAP is paid for by the children's hospital and the adult is paid for by the adult medical center/hospital. I imagine it's tougher in those scenarios.

It's possible to work at academia in CAP and then see adults in your PP or vice versa. Also with CAP, you may still be able to see adults up to a certain age (usually 26 years old, may be connected to insurance coverage from parents), but it's rarer to see adult clinics having a structure/policies to take on children.
The initial negotiations would be longer and more complicated if you are working with two separate depts, but that scenario actually protects against some bait and switch possibilities bc each dept is going to want to get the time they're paying for.