Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am on board with this 100%. I would rather stay away from ROSE but we just find it difficult to divorce ourselves from this necessary evil right now. And yes, the possibility of getting a limited sample exists (and happens more often than you would like even if you try your hardest to get more tissue) and our only real option is NGS or some derivative of that... the amount of ancillary testing being requested is outrageous.I think they are fine at what they do but needles just don't have great yield on a fair number of lung nodules. It's not their fault. They nail it with the forceps virtually every time. Forceps outperforms needle consistently. I have 10s of thousands of cases that help me come to this conclusion.
Guardant 360 will be replacing the need for ROSE I would think at some point. Our oncologists order this regardless if there is enough tissue or not. 10 years from now we will look back and say "remember standing around doing all that useless ROSE procedures that we didn't get paid for?" I could have cut down a tree for 2 grand in that time.