Car Payment in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HelloGoodbye

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everbody,

I will be starting med school here next year and am also looking at buying a new (used) car. According to my school our transportation budget is $480 a month. This is to include payment, gas, and insurrance. What do you think a feasible montly payment on a car would be?

What are your experiences? Should I try to buy as cheaply as possible or spring for a newer car?
 
Hey everbody,

I will be starting med school here next year and am also looking at buying a new (used) car. According to my school our transportation budget is $480 a month. This is to include payment, gas, and insurrance. What do you think a feasible montly payment on a car would be?

What are your experiences? Should I try to buy as cheaply as possible or spring for a newer car?

Definitely go for the more expensive one.
 
Hey everbody,

I will be starting med school here next year and am also looking at buying a new (used) car. According to my school our transportation budget is $480 a month. This is to include payment, gas, and insurrance. What do you think a feasible montly payment on a car would be?

What are your experiences? Should I try to buy as cheaply as possible or spring for a newer car?

Pimp your car AFTER you become a doctor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
get a 10 year old toyota, honda, or nissan that doesn't have too many miles on it. I'm driving a car that is 15 years old and it runs great. sure, there are a few oil leaks, belt replacements, alternator problems, etc... over the last several years, but the costs of repairs always turn out to be far ,far less that a car payment over the course of a year. Plus you probably won't be doing a whole lot of driving (in terms of mileage) anyway, so an older car would likely get you through 4 years.

I bet you could get set up for 2-3k.
 
It's Hyundai time for you, keep it during residency. Honda Civics are a good way to go too. Get online bids toward the end of the month. Try Edmunds.com using a junk/secondary e-mail account.
 
Not that this is going to help the OP, but when I was working at a local hospital as an undergrad, there was a 60-year old anesthesiologist who was STILL driving his Pontiac Grand Am from med school. It didn't have AC (this was in TX, mind you), was 3 different colors, sounded like a tank when driving into the parking garage, and was 30% of the body was covered in what looked like rust (though it might've been years of compacted mud). I think it was a badge of honor for him.

Oh, and just so everyone knows he's not crazy, he drove a $100K convertible BMW when it was nice outside.