Carbohydrates

Started by deleted647690
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted647690

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm using kaplan to learn about carbohydrates. How much do you think is important to know for the mcat? I've spent about 2 days looking back at old class notes and relearning how oxidation/reduction occurs, how glycosides are formed, some of the basic structures, what it means to be reducing, etc.... because I didn't fully understand those concepts in the kaplan book. However, the chapter mentions other structures like cellulose, amylopectin, glycogen, and the associated enzymes and reactions they can go through. My mind is kind of spacing out as I read these because I can't really visualize what they're saying about the specific reactions and cleavages at specific points in the molecules.....
 
Have you studied biochem yet? If not, focus on learning the metabolic pathways and carbs will fall into place. We need to know our carbs. I'll start you off-

Glycogen: our short-term energy storage
cellulose: plant cell walls
starch (amylose and amylopectin): sugar storage for plants
 
Have you studied biochem yet? If not, focus on learning the metabolic pathways and carbs will fall into place. We need to know our carbs. I'll start you off-

Glycogen: our short-term energy storage
cellulose: plant cell walls
starch (amylose and amylopectin): sugar storage for plants


I took biochem, but it was 1st semester biochem, and I never learned metabolism. We covered carbohydrates very shortly at the end of my course
 

Similar threads