Cardiac Fellowship 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not NPO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been an incredible year so far. Good luck to all of you applying!

Reactions: 4 users
When do programs start sending interview invites?

Hey y'all - went through the cycle last year. Here to provide any help/insight during the process. Good luck!

...an Oscar would imply I’m acting.

Just sayin’: business is booming. I think folks should apply early, and understand that even if they don’t, others are.

We finished last year with 39 apps. There were 22 before Thanksgiving this year.

Reactions: 1 user
...an Oscar would imply I’m acting.

Just sayin’: business is booming. I think folks should apply early, and understand that even if they don’t, others are.

We finished last year with 39 apps. There were 22 before Thanksgiving this year.

Jeez. That’s really competitive

Meh.

It’s probably the same pool of “x” number of people applying to tons of places. Because the Match rate has been ~75% of late, LOTS of people are applying to >15 programs. Ours just happens to be one of them; I suppose mathematically it’s competitive.

Back in the dark ages, I only applied to 2...

Members don't see this ad :)
This last year's match data.
Screenshot_20191130-141612_Chrome.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
How many interviews do people typically go on?

I applied last year and I believe that I went on 10. I applied to 15 initially, then added another 10 after interviews were slow to come in. I seemed to feel like I was a good applicant when I was interviewing, but I received invites to some programs well after people first reported getting invites from those programs on here. I was fortunate enough to match to my first choice.
Just remember that it's a marathon and not a sprint - it was hard not to get discouraged when you see others on here getting tons of invites early on, but some programs send out invites past February. The program I matched at sent me my invite >1 month after the first person posted on here about receiving an invite from them.
- Looking back at my emails, it looks like I first started hearing from programs in January, with most invites coming out in February. Hope this helps!

Best of Luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just want to say I’ve enjoyed your Instagram very much over the last couple years. It’s one of the best medical accounts in all of social media.

I encourage folks to PM @rishk789 for a link.

I'm not outting him, I've followed him since i was an Intern. he has links all over the internet.

So i'm gonna save him the PMs and tell you, it's @rishimd on instagram. I'm sorry I didn't get to do my fellowship at UT Houston... woulda been an honor to work with you @rishk789.

I want half your ad revenues for diet tea sales if you get over 1 mil subscribers because of me ;)

Last edited:
Hey y'all - went through the cycle last year. Here to provide any help/insight during the process. Good luck!

I won't be applying until next year but if you have any insight at all or just want to talk about your personal experience I think a lot of people on this forum would appreciate it.

Things like what you were looking for, significant other looking for, geography, did you know people at the program such as friends from residency, family, or just connections. Is there something you saw that you loved about one program vs another? Did you speak to current fellows on the interview trail and what were their thoughts?

How was your personal statement for CT anesthesiology and was it similar to your residency PS or was it completely different?

Who in your program did you ask for LOR? I've heard people mention you should have all 3 LORs from cardiac anesthesiologists and others say that it doesn't matter as long as they're strong. Were they the PD, APD, chairman etc?

How were your ITE, basic exam, and USMLE scores?

Did you go have any research, case reports, QI or any other presentations that you gave at either the ASA or SCA?

Did you travel to any of the SCA annual meeting and workshop events?

These questions are coming from someone who has absolutely no idea how on the SF match works. I only remember the ERAS system.

Reactions: 5 users
Got invites from Cornell and Tufts. Any one else?

Hey all, Im looking to apply next year. It seems that most programs kind of offer the same information online. Outside of location, what factors did you look at when deciding which programs to apply to?

A senior resident from my program got an IV from Maryland

Got an IV from UPenn

Just want to say I’ve enjoyed your Instagram very much over the last couple years. It’s one of the best medical accounts in all of social media.

I encourage folks to PM @rishk789 for a link.
I'm not outting him, I've followed him since i was an Intern. he has links all over the internet.

So i'm gonna save him the PMs and tell you, it's @rishimd on instagram. I'm sorry I didn't get to do my fellowship at UT Houston... woulda been an honor to work with you @rishk789.

I want half your ad revenues for diet tea sales if you get over 1 mil subscribers because of me ;)

I don't get on SDN much these days, but I appreciate the very kind words! I promise... I'm just an ordinary guy, haha.

As far as ad revenues, do you really think I subscribe to that sort of BS? You won't get any of those #wearFigs or discount codes captions from me on any of my social media, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Starting to have second thoughts about fellowship and thinking I may want to do a cardiac fellowship. Do you All think it’s too late to apply? Realistically would have everything submitted 1st or 2nd week of January.

FWIW, good scores on ITE (>80th percentile), AOA, 1 publication and a bunch of posters at conferences.

Starting to have second thoughts about fellowship and thinking I may want to do a cardiac fellowship. Do you All think it’s too late to apply? Realistically would have everything submitted 1st or 2nd week of January.

FWIW, good scores on ITE (>80th percentile), AOA, 1 publication and a bunch of posters at conferences.

Probably fine. A good handful of programs have emailed me specifically stating that they won’t look at apps until January. Interviews I’ve gotten have rolled in the last 2 weeks. I think you’re good.

Not too late at all, get some letters together and submit.

I got an invitation from Wash U yesterday

Dang! You are just raking them in! How many did you apply to?

I applied to 20 with 5 invites so far.
Pretty much the same.
Applied to 22 with 6(one is my home institution)

Mayo Clinic only has 3 CV fellow spots. They do 4500 cardiac cases a year. Am I missing something? Do the residents cover everything else? Surely they could handle more fellows and not dilute the experience...what gives? Any insider info.

Why don’t they train more CV anesthesiology fellows.

Mayo Clinic only has 3 CV fellow spots. They do 4500 cardiac cases a year. Am I missing something? Do the residents cover everything else? Surely they could handle more fellows and not dilute the experience...what gives? Any insider info.

Why don’t they train more CV anesthesiology fellows.
No comment. Prob because they have only graduated a hand full of fellows ever

Haven't heard anything since before Christmas. Here's to hoping a few more roll in.

I submitted my application after the 1st and so far I received 1 interview shortly thereafter, which I was surprised by. I have also been surprised with the number of programs that have reached out to me in order to confirm that my application is complete or requesting more documents - without me initiating the contact. Of note, those programs that have reached out were: Cleveland Clinic, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Nebraska and Maine. Many of them said they would be notifying applicants of interview offers in February. I'm not sure if anyone else has received similar communication/correspondence.

However, there are some programs that require additional documentation and ask you to submit it to a specific email or application and these additional documents requested are not all on the SFMatch description of the individual program - some are only found on the program's specific website. While most of us probably know that, this can be easily overlooked.

I received interviews from Columbia and Mount Sinai (NY) last week

What do you guys think about programs without heart/lung transplants? Do you think it’ll have a negative impact on your training or it doesn’t really matter?

What do you guys think about programs without heart/lung transplants? Do you think it’ll have a negative impact on your training or it doesn’t really matter?
Personally I wanted to make sure my fellowship does as much as my residency program, which is everything (i.e. H&L transplant, VADs, ECMO, transcatheter procedures). I didn't even apply to programs that weren't doing all of the above. Just my preference.