Cardiac job question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airlife91

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current cardiac fellow here. Looking for PP jobs and have a couple offers on the table. One is a solid group in my ideal location currently hiring for general spots. They don't have a spot on their heart team for when I start, and unsure when one will open (could be months to a few years). Obviously I'm worried about the uncertainty going forward because I would ultimately like to do Cardiac as a regular part of my practice, and I worry about losing skills while waiting for a spot to open up. Obviously I'll need echos under my belt to be credentialed for cardiac and keep my advanced TEE cert up. Anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how'd you approach it? How long is too long to be out of the cardiac game before you start to lose your skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Things you should know. Actual volume of hearts. How many in cardiac anesthesia rotation? How old are they? How many cases/doc/year? Is the program growing or shrinking or stable?

I never did a fellowship. Didn't do hearts for 14 years, then picked it up because we had a need. That's an extreme. If you've been doing hearts all year I don't think a couple years is a problem. Also I'm in a large multi site group. We rotate our new hires including cardiac fellows to all our different sites for about a year. During that year they are generally not doing any pump cases but they have no problems doing hearts once they settle into a permanent home.

If you and the group have a clear understanding that you want to do hearts, it'll probably work out. Once you start and they like you and want to keep you, the wheels may turn to get you in sooner than later.

Last edited:
Current cardiac fellow here. Looking for PP jobs and have a couple offers on the table. One is a solid group in my ideal location currently hiring for general spots. They don't have a spot on their heart team for when I start, and unsure when one will open (could be months to a few years). Obviously I'm worried about the uncertainty going forward because I would ultimately like to do Cardiac as a regular part of my practice, and I worry about losing skills while waiting for a spot to open up. Obviously I'll need echos under my belt to be credentialed for cardiac and keep my advanced TEE cert up. Anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how'd you approach it? How long is too long to be out of the cardiac game before you start to lose your skills?

If your in the NE and looking for a PP gig PM me

Reactions: 1 user