Cardiac physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dam272

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking as a new anesthesiology resident with an interest in CT Anesthesia, which would be the best resource to get better at cardiacvascular physiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Look over the drape when they open the chest. Then start pressing buttons

Reactions: 7 users
When I was a intern, the chief told me CT anes is like anes on steroids. I thought it was funny because he's like a jacked dude. But there is a lot of truth in it.

Start by being really good at normal physiology, CT physiology is built on the foundation of normal physiology. Then read some text for the cardiac considerations of the anes drugs. Read specifically about bypass - steps and coagulopathies related to CBP (cardiopulmonary bypass).

Once you know all the science behind it, it's time for practice; before you learn anything, just lean over the drape and say "geee, I heard you guys were good technically, but i have to say the podiatrists are probably slightly better at suturing"

The next step is knowing your echo. Start with basic views and try to get practice and the 3d structures in your head. The most likely reason you're not getting a good view is probably the surgeon's fault, so just ask the surgeons nicely to stop what they're doing until you get your ME4 Chamber. The most common cause of foreshortening is poor surgical technique.

You'll be on your way to becoming the best resident around!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Read through the relevant sections in Constanzo's BRS physiology. It was really good second year of med school, and it's really good now. Then grab the latest copy of "A Practical Approach to Cardiac Anesthesia" by Hensley et. al. Overall it is a great book for your cardiac rotation/cardiac fellowship. There is a chapter devoted to cardiac physiology in the newest edition. Finally, essentials of Cardiac Anesthesia by Kaplan is equally good. Check both of those books out and find what book is better for your reading/learning style.

Good Luck. And dchz is right...a lot of the cardiac guys do work out frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
+1 for Hensley. The best coverage of cardiovascular drugs I have ever seen in a book, and a great book overall.

Cardiac physiology? What the heck do you need beyond what you learned in medical school, or what you can find in any decent anesthesia textbook? Do you think anybody will ask you about action potentials or Bainbridge reflex?

Reactions: 1 users
Not a huge fan of the kaplan book, even though my residency gave it to us for free, it's not that high yield/easy read.