Cardiac Surgeon?

Started by styphon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cardiothoracic surgeon: five years of general surgery residency, then a Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship.

Cardiology is a three year internal medicine residency followed by a three year cardiology fellowship.

I think those are right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

later
 
Cardiothoracic Surgery is a MINIMUM of 7 years - 5 years is the minimum for General Surgery but most academic programs will require you to do lab years (1-3+) in addition. CT fellowships are 2 years. So count on at least 7+ years for this pathway.
 
Cardiology is a MINIMUM of 3 years following 3 years of IM. About half the programs in this country are 3 yrs. for general Cards, and half are 4 years (1 yr. research). General Cards includes diagnostic cath training. Subspecialties within Cards (=further years of training) include:

Interventional Cards: 1-2 years depending on the program and depending on how much peripheral intervention you do

EP: The AICD/pacemaker/ablation guys. Generally 1-2 years after general Cards, but many places let you fold in your first year of EP into your last year of general Cards fellowship

Heart Failure: Generally 1 year more after general cards

ECHO: 1 year, including more TEE training.

Preventive: 1 year, from what I understand
Int. Cards and EP are by far the most procedure intensive.