Cardiac Surgery fellowships, USMLE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming CT resident. Do fellowships look at your scores in Step 2CK for example or do they not care at all? My guess is that they don't care since it is so far away from medical school but just want to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an incoming CT resident. Do fellowships look at your scores in Step 2CK for example or do they not care at all? My guess is that they don't care since it is so far away from medical school but just want to make sure.

Surgery fellowships couldn't care less about Step scores. Inservice exams are far more important along with LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They look at them, but frankly it's all about the in-service.

Agree - they are looked at, but the in-service is fair more important. Essentially this is how the applicant evaluation process goes:

1) Great inservice scores -> gaze in the general direction of Step 2CK --> Meh, don't really care if good or bad

2) Bad inservice scores -> look at step scores ->
--2a) good step scores -> well at least they can pass a standardized test, lets look at this person in more detail
--2b) bad step scores -> yikes, stay away.

Reactions: 1 user
They look at them, but frankly it's all about the in-service.

Edit: are you a medical student already worrying about a CTS super-fellowship???

More likely a medical student who matched into an Integrated program already worried about matching congenital.