Cardiac surgery programs

Started by KenMeme
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KenMeme

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need some help here. I am a 4th year Gen surg resident applying for CT surgery in a couple of months. Interested in moving back to Houston, Tx. Any advice on top cardiac-track programs? Have heard some unfavorable stories about THI/Baylor - low case participation, no longer a top tier. Any truths in those? I always had the notion it was a top-tier program. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
 
Need some help here. I am a 4th year Gen surg resident applying for CT surgery in a couple of months. Interested in moving back to Houston, Tx. Any advice on top cardiac-track programs? Have heard some unfavorable stories about THI/Baylor - low case participation, no longer a top tier. Any truths in those? I always had the notion it was a top-tier program. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Several years ago St. Luke's lost their cardiac transplant program and there was also some issue about the labs and systemic hospital issues. I don't recall details; I know ProPublica ran some stuff on them, it should be easily searchable. I think that might have affected applicant ranking over the last few years for the BCM (Houston) program but I haven't heard anything specific about low case participation or concerns for ability for grads (not that I would, though, those things don't get advertised that broadly). Good luck on the interview process!