Cardinal Sin....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhmmmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received a lower score on my MCAT
Went from 29 to 29 to 25... Now what?

I am at a loss for what to do. I have a good application other than this.

Excellent pre-reqs
Tons of shadowing experience
Current researcher with 1 Publication
3.45 GPA - not great

Members don't see this ad.

It's simple and you already know what to do - raise your mcat score. Are you gonna take it again before you apply? Focus on your strategy as well as information. There was a very good post on strategy for reading comprehension earlier I will try to find it for you. Basically, read everything for comprehension, and don't start the rest of the passage until you UNDERSTAND the first paragraph. Then after each paragraph take 3-5 seconds to think how it relates back to the first paragraph and overall subject.

Other than that, be unique, focus on extra curriculars (maybe an underprivileged medicine one?). Email all the doctors you can find in your area with an up to date resume, beg for an opportunity, and work your butt off. Pretty generic advice, but good luck.

Just realized you said excellent shadowing experience.. Whoops. In that case, you may want to focus on gaining significant amounts of patient interaction (volunteering is normally best for this, but there are other options)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. Thank you. The only downside is I am a reapplicant (reapplying currently). Should I just call this cycle quits and not submit anymore secondaries?

yes, with that mcat and gpa don't reapply like that...if u fail this time...u might never make it again.
unless u're shooting for DO, in which case, ur stats are pretty decent.

Right now, I would say that your chances are slim for MD schools.

Are you also applying to DO schools?

Your GPA is about average for people that get into DO schools, and your recent MCAT score is below average for DO schools. Your previous MCAT scores were halfway between the average for MD and DO schools.

DO is still a doctor after all.

Yeah I was planning on doing well. So do I withdraw from schools now? What about the secondaries I already submitted? Just not sure where to go from here?

I would...unless, u can pull off a 32+ on the MCAT in a August/early september test date, i don't see applying this cycle as beneficial...AGAIN, that is if you're only applying MD.

Currently I am because I have minimal DO shadowing and I don't think I would be able to get a letter from a DO

Accept your losses and apply Osteopathic. You don't need a DO letter for all schools.