This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Manunitedforlife91

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone

I am currently a second-year cardiology fellow at a university program. I am on a J1 visa and by the time I graduate, I am hoping to be Echo, Nuclear and CT certified. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on advanced cardiac imaging as an additional year of fellowship. I intend to work in a non-academic setting but I am open to the idea of working in academics if that means decent work and life balance with not so crappy salary. With me being on a J1 visa and having to go through a J1 waiver, there's a good chance that I may end up at a place where I may not be exposed to as much advanced imaging as I would like. What do you guys reckon is the best strategy going forward, should I do advanced imaging and hope that I land a decent gig during waivership where I may or may not be in academics but at least be able to apply that additional year worth of hard work or do I just go with three board certification and look for waiver jobs.