Cardiology and International Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGoBlue13

Grizzled Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm starting an internal medicine residency in a few months, and I'm interested in cardiology and international health. Unfortunately, most places cannot afford the technology that we use in the US for our cardiovascular care, which decreases access to care.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with residents/fellows/attendings that have been able to combine these interests? Any specific projects that you all have encountered? In my research, I've been able to come up with very little.

Thanks!
M

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,

I'm starting an internal medicine residency in a few months, and I'm interested in cardiology and international health. Unfortunately, most places cannot afford the technology that we use in the US for our cardiovascular care, which decreases access to care.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with residents/fellows/attendings that have been able to combine these interests? Any specific projects that you all have encountered? In my research, I've been able to come up with very little.

Thanks!
M

Bernard Lown. Check out the Web site of the organization he founded, ProCOR. Also check out his review article, "Cardiology at a Crossroad: Challenge for India (PDF)".

Cheers,
-AT.

Atsai,

Thanks for the info! He looks like he's a pretty huge guy in cards. Any idea if he's down with residents working with him?

-M

Members don't see this ad :)
he looks like a huge guy beyond cards too. He's a nobel peace prize co-winner!

Atsai,

Thanks for the info! He looks like he's a pretty huge guy in cards. Any idea if he's down with residents working with him?

-M

He has focused his attention overseas. From a 5-year old article:

Now, he plans to shut down the prestigious training program he built to pass on his philosophy. He says he can no longer fight the economic pressures that lead too many of his trainees to practice invasive, high-tech, high-profit cardiology - the kind of medicine he calls ''a dereliction of conscience.'' Instead, he will turn his attention to young doctors from developing countries, who, he says, can make more use of his message.
--from "Health care maverick taking new step at 80", Anne Barnard, Boston Globe, June 6, 2001​