Cardiology is not too competitive for American grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gluon999

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to an attending at my school who deals with cards fellows, approx 80% of American grads who apply for a fellowship, land it. IMGs on the other hand have a much harder time (obviously!).

Can anyone back that up with numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

80% of AMGs interested in cards land a fellowship? Or 80% of AMGs interested in ANY fellowship land that particular fellowship? Those are two very different statistics.

He was specifically talking about cards fellows. His point was that IMGs skew the avg statistics to make cardio seem more difficult than it really is for an AMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any data for this?

Is there any data for this?

I know I had seen a more comprehensive data table before, and it was really bugging me so I finally found it after much searching. It's on the AAMC Careers in Medicine website that some of you may have used using during med school. You have to have a login to access the site.

In this year's match there were 559 USMG applicants and 442 matched, or 79.1%.
There were 675 IMG applicants and 227 matched, or 33.6%.

I think I did the math correctly. I can include the link so you can doublecheck here but it might be login-only access.

It is login only, but yea just confirmed it.

Seems like its tough for a FMG but AMGs seem to be doing pretty well in terms of matching. Where is the competitiveness?

I know I had seen a more comprehensive data table before, and it was really bugging me so I finally found it after much searching. It's on the AAMC Careers in Medicine website that some of you may have used using during med school. You have to have a login to access the site.

In this year's match there were 559 USMG applicants and 442 matched, or 79.1%.
There were 675 IMG applicants and 227 matched, or 33.6%.

I think I did the math correctly. I can include the link so you can doublecheck here but it might be login-only access.

Thanks for the follow up. I checked out the link and got the same thing out of it that you did. Maybe there is some self-selection?

Can someone copy/paste? Or add an attachment? THanks!

From last year at the NRMP website:

STATISTICS BY SPECIALTY
Cardiovascular Disease (Internal Medicine)

Programs Statistics: Number Percent

Enrolled Programs 164
Withdrawn Programs 0
Active Programs 164
Programs Filled 159 (97%)
Programs Unfilled 5 (3%)
Active Positions 699
Positions Filled 693 (99%)
Positions Unfilled 6 (1%)

Applicant Statistics

Matched Applicants:
School Matched Percent

US Grad 438 (63%)
US Foreign 46 (7%)
Osteo 25 (4%)
Foreign 182 (26%)
Canadian 2 (0%)

Total 693

This doesn't include a few of the out of match spots.
Interestingly, the AAMC numbers don't agree with these.
Keep in mind that the % is not the % accepted but the % of the total matched.

I managed to match last year and can tell you that the cardiology application process is an extremely difficult one. Although you may have a good chance as an AMG, I assure you that the process will be stressful, you will be impatient for match day, and you will hate the uncertainty of not knowing where you will end up, if anywhere at all.
I should also mention that while on the interview trail various programs complained about the large number of applications they had to review (over 1,000 at some).