cardiology Match 2006

Started by dinosaur
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dinosaur

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, just wondering how people did this year with regards to the match. I heard its's pretty tough for IMGs this year, makes me kinda worry. Anyways, I'm from a Univ Program and only one of our residents (out of 4) got into fellowship, and the guy is a US grad. A classmate in another Univ program did match into my program's Cards program, so that that sounds good. I'm due to apply this year but im kinda scared since it's so competitive, and I have a very good chnce of getting into my programs nephrology fellowship (w/c is my 2nd choice) ....
 
Its tough to get into Cards as a IMG. I dont mean to discourage you but most of the IMGs who get in are older folks who were cardiologists in their home country or who are extraordinary and are taken by their Residency programs after a year or so of research etc. My husband got into Cards outside the match for 2006 at a major Univ hospital too (where he did residency) But he worked extremely hard and has seen many of his colleagues US and IMG alike give up. His PD gave him the position but it wasnt until we went thru a disappointment the year before that. And he worked extremely hard published papers, showed his talent and finally they offered him the position saying he deserved it! We are relieved and feel blessed he got what he wanted. Every fellowship is getting tough even Pulm which was considered more IMG friendly. Consider Nephro...its a great lifestyle...Best of luck