Cardiovascular research in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notabiobot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will begin medical school in the fall, and am considering either cardiology or oncology as a specialty. I will most definitely be doing research in medical school (likely toward a PhD), and was wondering if it is absolutely necessary that I do cardiovascular research in medical school if I want a cardiology fellowship. If I happen to do cancer research and later decide that I want to be a cardiologist, will it be difficult to secure a cardiology fellowship with that research background?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no fellow, but i don't think it matters. if you want to do some research during residency, that would probably be good.

I've been told by one cardiology faculty member that the area of research during medical school does not have to be related to what fellowship you wish to pursue, at least as long as it shows that you have some research skills. I can see his point, but I gotta believe it's better to do research in the area you're applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could be in any field. Every publication matters.

Last edited:
I will join a one year cardiology research project. So according to what you are saying it still would be good for me if I switch my mind and chose to do GI in the future instead? Or it wouldn't be a disadvantage since I have concentrated in a certain area so much and then switched would it put me into an unstable, umbivalent person jumping from one specialty to another?

They don't expect you to know that you want a GI fellowship 5 or 6 years down the line. They want to see that you are interest in, and are capable of doing serious research. It can be in underwater basketweaving (okay, not that off base).