Career About-Face into DPT; Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnToBetterThings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-I am considering a life-change, and going into the DPT field. Have always wanted to, but always had a birdy in my ear telling me it would be a mistake. Fast forward to being 28, and having worked in the wine and food industry my entire adult life, and realizing that DPT has always been in the back of my mind, but I have just been scared. I am a PE credit short of my AA from 10 years ago, and unlike most on the forum, don't have a Bachelors. I'm in the DC area, and started to look into the feasibility of this, and all the steps I'd have to take. I would love everyone's perspective and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd fit in. All my classmates love wine.

Reactions: 1 users
Do what makes you happy! If being a PT will make you happy at the end of the day, make it happen. Don't live a life of regret and life's to short to wake-up not living out your passion every day. Now, that I've inserted the appropriate cliches and life quotes, lol, Unfortunately, you will have to complete a Bachelor's degree because it is a requirement of programs. You'll also have to take the GRE as a supplemental to the applying process. All is feasible, taking you roughly 7-8 years. That's about three years to get a bachelor's, an applying period and 3 years of PT school. Have you considered being a PTA? It will allow you to be another assest in the field a lot faster (approx. 2 years) you won't have to complete a Bachelor's degree and less debt (not sure of your financial situation)? I think you can do whatever you decide as long as you're willing to work hard through all the requirements and have patient with the process. Kudos to you for deciding to join the coolest health professionals around!