Career Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merrem_Covers_Sinusitis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a P4 who is currently on rotations but I am also going through the Match process for a residency. Ultimately I would love to specialize in ID, but I know I would be happy with any inpatient or general clinical pharmacist role.

So far, I have had only one interview for a PGY-1 program and I think it went well and that I might have a really good chance at a residency for this upcoming residency "year". That being said, my current rotation site has thrown a wrench into my plans regarding my professional future. I have been at my current site, a rural hospital, for the past few months completing two of my APPE blocks and it has been absolutely wonderful. So much so that I would absolutely love to work here simply because of everything I have witnessed and been able to do while here.

What throws a wrench into my residency plans is that my preceptor and the director of pharmacy are both actively campaigning to get another FTE position for the pharmacy specifically for me to the VP who oversees this department. In addition to that, I have multiple floors of nursing lobbying and have even gotten the Chief Nursing Officer to lobby the VP for me simply because of my work with patients and with the nurses. All in all, I feel I have a great chance of being offered a job at this hospital for a FTE inpatient pharmacist position.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what have some of you done in your experiences and what might you recommend to me?

Members don't see this ad.

You might be unemployed after PGY1...then what? PGY2? PGY3?---the real experience at your hospital is more coveted----i'd take the offer IF they give it to you.

Reactions: 1 users
You might be unemployed after PGY1...then what? PGY2? PGY3?---the real experience at your hospital is more coveted----i'd take the offer IF they give it to you.
That's a concern of mine. I'd love to do a PGY-2 in ID if possible but I'm well aware of the potential job hunt after that as well, plus all of the joys of applying for more residencies after that.

I also have to decide relatively soon because Match rankings are due in a few weeks and if I do match with the program then I'm obligated to take part in their residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah for most people, the point of doing a residency is to help them land a job in a hospital setting. If you have a chance to get that hospital job now, and bypass the residency - take the job and don't look back.

Reactions: 2 users
That's a concern of mine. I'd love to do a PGY-2 in ID if possible but I'm well aware of the potential job hunt after that as well, plus all of the joys of applying for more residencies after that.

I also have to decide relatively soon because Match rankings are due in a few weeks and if I do match with the program then I'm obligated to take part in their residency program.

So do you have the offer with the hospital you're working with? Nurses lobbying the vp means nothing if you don't have a solid offer. I'd go with it if you have the offer----if not--then your only choice really is the residency program.

Reactions: 1 user
So do you have the offer with the hospital you're working with? Nurses lobbying the vp means nothing if you don't have a solid offer. I'd go with it if you have the offer----if not--then your only choice really is the residency program.
I do not have it yet. Which maybe I didn't elaborate clearly enough.

I do not have it yet. Which maybe I didn't elaborate clearly enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the position is only being discussed, but hasn't been posted yet? And once it's posted, you would still need to apply, interview, etc.? It sounds like you might run out of time before you have to commit to the PGY1 residency?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the position is only being discussed, but hasn't been posted yet? And once it's posted, you would still need to apply, interview, etc.? It sounds like you might run out of time before you have to commit to the PGY1 residency?
The position would be specifically for me is my understanding of it and that I wouldn't have to go through any interviewing process. I could be wrong though, and yes, I am concerned about running out of time.

The position would be specifically for me is my understanding of it and that I wouldn't have to go through any interviewing process. I could be wrong though, and yes, I am concerned about running out of time.

I honestly wouldn't put my hopes on it...I don't think it's going to happen. I've seen many situations like this...especially with a lot of the hospitals tightening budgets and stuff...I wouldn't expect it. Plan for your residency.

I think you should discuss that with the Pharmacy Director at your current hospital, and let her know you're also applying for residency and see what he/she says. For someone who's been trying to obtain a hospital position without residency, it's been difficult for me. However, I do believe that connections is important...if the hospital really like you, they'll keep you in mind and try to hire you..even as PRN for the time being. They might not be able to give you a FTE now/soon, but if you keep in touch with them, eventually you could get it. I've seen that happens, and it's just a matter of being patient. Now, if you really want to specialize, then that's a different story, go for the PGY1.

Talk to them, and explain the situation. Tell them that hospital pharmacy is your dream job, and that you've been pursuing a residency to help achieve that goal... but also tell them that working for them would be your first choice, and that you'd forego the residency if they offered you this position they've been discussing. Give them a chance to hire you, but make sure they understand the time constraint - that way they won't drag their feet. If they really want you, they will make it happen!!

Good luck, and keep us posted...

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Having been in the same position (granted it was in the early 2000's at the peak of the pharmacist shortage), I took the job. I would definitely talk to your potential future director and ask him to be clear if there is a job for you. If there is, then take it. Otherwise operate under the idea you are going after that residency. Let him know your deadline of when you have to commit to the residency. If they want you, they will make it happen, but have a contract signed. You can always take more certifications. I know residents who were looking for jobs after their first year

If you get the hospital offer, I would definitely take it over the residency. The only negative I see with the hospital job, is that if it's being newly created for you, it will be the first job to be cutback when hospital cutbacks are needed (and hospital cutbacks are always needed.) But even given that, I would still take the job over the residency (if you are lucky, one of the other pharmacists will move on or cut back, and then your position will be more permanent.)