Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys,

So I'm currently in the midst of filling out applications for vet school, but lately I've been doubting myself that I'll actually get in because of my not-so-great GPA (below 3.0) and GRE scores. I have a B.S. in Animal Sciences, and I have plenty of experience, being about 6+ years, working with a variety of species.

My background includes animal care taking, clinical experience and research, working with a variety of species of animals varying from lab animals to wildlife. In addition to these experiences, I have also worked in customer service in a pet supply store. I am currently a lab technician at a cancer research center, managing the mouse colony, assisting with developing and maintaining lymphocyte cultures, and other in vitro based assays and scientific experiments.

Although getting into a vet school would be great, I don't feel like it's obtainable for me at the moment, unless if I plan on going back to school and retaking classes to raise my GPA and retake my GRE for a third time (which are possible options). Just to prepare myself if I don't get in, I was wondering what possible options are there for career alternatives? I have been doing some research on my own mostly seeing vet assistants, vet techs, agriculture, and zookeepers. If I do get into vet school my ideal interest would be going down the path of lab animal medicine or research, which for a career alternative I would like to go down a similar path. Are there any careers similar to that? Preferably ones that wouldn't require me to relocate, and that are financially stable careers? I was considering of moving my way up at my current work from a lab technician to a research technician, and higher up if that's even possible. Or even go down a different path from cancer research, involving research that's more animal-related.

Thank you for your responses in advance!

PppermintTwist

7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Could you maybe get a pay raise as a licensed lab animal tech for your current job? Do they offer any money for continued education? There are some online programs too if it fits better with your schedule.

What is your ideal job? What part of the work do you enjoy?

OP
N
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Could you maybe get a pay raise as a licensed lab animal tech for your current job? Do they offer any money for continued education? There are some online programs too if it fits better with your schedule.

What is your ideal job? What part of the work do you enjoy?
Right now I'm only a regular lab tech working in cancer research, so I do both human and animal work. If I wanted to move up I would have to either wait until the person who is the next higher up position from me in my lab to leave (which I don't think would be anytime soon) or move into a higher position in a different lab at my work. They do have programs for continued education but you have to be working there for 10 years. I haven't thought of taking online classes in terms of retaking classes to raise my GPA, which actually might be better for my schedule with work, so I'll have to take a look into that!

My ideal job would be something that involves working with animals and a constant learning experience. Like my job right now although I do half animal work, I'm still learning about the progressive discoveries in the biomedical research field but lately I've been feeling like I'm at this plateau at my job where there's not much to learn anymore. I really enjoy the learning part of my job, the hands-on work, and at the same time enjoy the feeling that I'm contributing in making a difference in a world if that doesn't sound to cliche.

About the Ads

southpaw93

MWU c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
If you're interested in research or education, looking into careers with Ceva, Zoetis, Idexx or Antech might be good! :) Good luck!!

OP
N
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
If you're interested in research or education, looking into careers with Ceva, Zoetis, Idexx or Antech might be good! :) Good luck!!
I've been looking into Antech lately, but the only positions that are open right now are lab aides and part-time positions, which I'm preferably I'm looking for something that's at somewhat the same level/capacity as my current job now, along with getting the same pay (or more would even be nice too) but for now I'm just keeping an eye out on positions that are opening there since it's nearby. I'll have to take a look at those other companies though, thank you!

southpaw93

MWU c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@ndrwjhr I totally get that, but maybe part-time would be a good way to get your foot in the door? and if they see how dedicated you are they'll move you up quicker! Also, you could always look at SGU/Ross. They are from what I understand more lenient on GPA and base their decision more so on your in person interview if you're offered one. It can't hurt! :)

OP
N
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@ndrwjhr I totally get that, but maybe part-time would be a good way to get your foot in the door? and if they see how dedicated you are they'll move you up quicker! Also, you could always look at SGU/Ross. They are from what I understand more lenient on GPA and base their decision more so on your in person interview if you're offered one. It can't hurt! :)
Yeah, the problem for me right now is I'm paying my undergrad school loans right now and working part-time won't really be able to meet my financial needs at the moment, so for now I'm sorta content where I'm at in terms of work and just waiting and exploring my options. I was looking into those schools, the only thing I would have to do is probably take a class to be able to meet the prereqs but also I would like to try to stay on the west coast or even the mid-west. Thank you again for your input and advice!

OP
N
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I work with a lady who was an animal science major. She completed an accelerated medical technology certificate that took a year. If you aren't opposed to going back to school for a year, its a great field, and its more stable than some research that might need renewed funding.
Is this in a regular or veterinary hospital if you don't mind me asking? Like is it something that's almost similar to getting a vet tech license?

OP
N
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
You can work for a vet reference lab or for a regular people hospital. Idexx is an example of a vet lab. Yes, certificate or BS degrees usually end with an ASCP certification. You can qualify for certification if you work in a lab (people hospital lab) for a certain amount of years without going back to school as well.
Oh okay, I'll have to look into that as well! Thank you!

Reactions: pupsnacks
About the Ads