Jan 12, 2010
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
Status
I apologize for posting this here, I really do*, but it's a poll**, you see? :p

All righty, I have been given the assignment of devising a description of what it is I would like to see out of my future career. Upon establishing said description, I must ask a multitude of people (random was said to be best, although I do not see why those who know me might offer some valued input) on what career(s) they see matching it as closely as possible. So, without further ado:

- First and foremost, I need to work with my hands... need to...
- I have found that I adore photography (but not of people, they're just eh :p).
- Me and baking are like hungry hippos and they're lovely little colorful balls (great analogy, eh?).
- I love animals, but I don't know if I could really see being a Veterinarian given that my attempts at reading medicine-related material always end quite soon after they begin.
- I dare say, having the certainty that I am financially stable is very much a must for me.
- Nature, not much more to say then I love it. So, working outside would be a huge plus.
- I have read multiple places / received input from tons of people that I am a creative person, and I think that I would rather enjoy a career involving creativity. :D

Any-who, that pretty much covers The Basis of everything, although I am sure there is more. I would like to thank everyone who reads this, and bombard with undying gratitude anyone who throws their two cents my way.

*Ahh, Guidance Counselors.....where would we be without them? Getting towards the end of Senior year in High School means the rush of "What do you want to do with your life?!?!?!" and "Where are you going to college next year?!?!?!" questions from anyone and everyone, especially the aforementioned.... counselor.... I appreciate what she does, and all she has done to help me, but it (her help) seems to be a little much at times.

**I am not sure if this a poll, per se, probably more of a... matching game. :D

Nephromaniac

UTK c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2009
Kent, Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
Well, I'd say the first thing that pops out to me would be nature photography, or photography of wild animals perhaps. I think it pretty much covers everything except the cooking... and maybe the financial security, at least at first (I understand it can be very lucrative, but hard to get into & work your way up to the good pay).

Good luck!

zeebra44

Frito feet!
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
Hmmm...a chef/writing your own cookbook? That incorporates your love for baking and you could photograph your dishes. Maybe you could even take it as far as a cookbook for animals? Haha!

luplodw

Mississippi c/o 2014!!
Jun 13, 2009
Nashville, TN
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
Hmmm...a chef/writing your own cookbook? That incorporates your love for baking and you could photograph your dishes. Maybe you could even take it as far as a cookbook for animals? Haha!
Yeah! Have a doggie bakery! Take pictures of dogs and put them up in the bakery

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
Gotta get you outside so i say a cookbook for Wildlife. Take pictures of the animals, bake them something, and then take pictures as you feed it to them...

Then charge admission to people to watch wildlife feeding, sell copies of your cookbook, and your photos and you are financially secure!

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
Around here, pet-sitting/doggy daycare is pretty lucrative. You probably do have to be near a population center to get a critical mass of customers in one area, though.

Why do you not like reading about medicine? Is it boring? It takes a hard-core geek :D to enjoy a lot of the textbook-type material out there. Is it too hard? You may be more interested once you have taken some courses in bio and physiology.

If you are up for entrepreneurship and finding your own way financially, I agree that photography could be a rewarding profession or side job. You would probably have to learn how to photograph people well and do it at least part time to earn money as you're getting your career started, though.

The getting outside and doing stuff with nature makes me think of agencies like Fish and Wildlife Service and Dept. of Natural Resources as potential employers, like park rangers and people who are hired to go out and survey natural resources and animal populations, enforce regulations, teach the public, etc. No idea what the job market is like, though.

I would ask people who know you, too. They may have insights into your personality that even you yourself don't recognize.

Jan 12, 2010
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
Status
Around here, pet-sitting/doggy daycare is pretty lucrative. You probably do have to be near a population center to get a critical mass of customers in one area, though.

Why do you not like reading about medicine? Is it boring? It takes a hard-core geek :D to enjoy a lot of the textbook-type material out there. Is it too hard? You may be more interested once you have taken some courses in bio and physiology.

If you are up for entrepreneurship and finding your own way financially, I agree that photography could be a rewarding profession or side job. You would probably have to learn how to photograph people well and do it at least part time to earn money as you're getting your career started, though.

The getting outside and doing stuff with nature makes me think of agencies like Fish and Wildlife Service and Dept. of Natural Resources as potential employers, like park rangers and people who are hired to go out and survey natural resources and animal populations, enforce regulations, teach the public, etc. No idea what the job market is like, though.

I would ask people who know you, too. They may have insights into your personality that even you yourself don't recognize.

~To be honest (I am addressing the bold), I think I lied when I said I don't like medicine. I really have not been exposed to it, I checked a few text books (which were far beyond their years (yellow pages, torn, smelled like death ;))) out of the library and just could not get into them. Mind you, I wasn't reading in the most welcoming of environments either (study hall stuck between two groups of students arguing over my table about...well, you get the point :rolleyes:).

Again, in all honesty, to be a veterinarian seems very appealing to me. My original thought for all this time was that I wanted to be a pastry chef, but my research has shown a very ugly truth about that path (I knew it deep down, but it's nothing like Food Network). After reassessing some things, I saw that animals are a pretty huge thing in my life. Although, is it such a crazy aspiration to desire being a Zoo Vet.? Is it really an unfathomable goal?~

Thanks for the input, everyone, so far; I am really loving the creativity you guys are putting into this. :p I never thought of photography on the side, actually. Sounds like an awesome way to make an already fun hobby, better.

As always, you guys / gals have given me excellent input. If you've got any more, I will accept it with a completely open mind; if not, thanks a ton for everything! :D

Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
- First and foremost, I need to work with my hands... need to...
- I have found that I adore photography (but not of people, they're just eh :p).
- Me and baking are like hungry hippos and they're lovely little colorful balls (great analogy, eh?).
- I love animals, but I don't know if I could really see being a Veterinarian given that my attempts at reading medicine-related material always end quite soon after they begin.
- I dare say, having the certainty that I am financially stable is very much a must for me.
- Nature, not much more to say then I love it. So, working outside would be a huge plus.
- I have read multiple places / received input from tons of people that I am a creative person, and I think that I would rather enjoy a career involving creativity. :D
Food stylist: All of those beautiful pictures of food in glossy magazines are carefully staged for maximum effect so they look tantalizing. You could also combine it with your photography skills.

Cake decorator: If you love to bake, need to work with your hands to be happy, enjoy being creative, and enjoy taking inspiration from nature, you might just love it. Go watch a few episodes of Ace of Cakes and see if you can imagine yourself doing that job. You could start making cakes in your own kitchen, and enter competitions as an amateur to get experience and exposure.

Similarly, consider becoming a pastry chef or confectioner. And you can always put your photographic talents to good use taking pictures for your portfolio.

But whatever you decide to do for money, keep in mind that's not the only thing you'll ever be able to do. You might not be able to incorporate all of your interests into one career, but that doesn't mean you have to give any of them up. When it comes to your love of animals, for example, you can volunteer some of your spare time doing animal-related things--wildlife rehab, zoo volunteering, working for animal rescues, etc. Do it long enough, and you'll not only learn a lot, but also pick up some very useful practical skills, such as giving injections/sub-q fluids, drawing blood, etc. You can always pursue nature photography as a way to relax and unwind, and maybe even show and sell your work.

And if you decide later that you want to be a veterinarian after all, you can always join the ranks of non-trad vet students...:laugh: