Career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSierra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am currently a 25 year old flight instructor looking for more information on getting into the medical field. I currently have a business degree and I am close to getting into the airlines but after being diagnosed with achalasia, I have the motivation to help people with swallowing disorders. I also have a wife and kid and the thought of being away days at a time is less attractive.In addition, a lot of current airline pilots wouldn't recommend the career (could be the same in the medical field). I was looking at getting into gastroenterology due to my condition.

Is the jump worth it? Any suggestions on getting started? Anyone made the jump from aviation to healthcare?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! I am currently a 25 year old flight instructor looking for more information on getting into the medical field. I currently have a business degree and I am close to getting into the airlines but after being diagnosed with achalasia, I have the motivation to help people with swallowing disorders. I also have a wife and kid and the thought of being away days at a time is less attractive.In addition, a lot of current airline pilots wouldn't recommend the career (could be the same in the medical field). I was looking at getting into gastroenterology due to my condition.

Is the jump worth it? Any suggestions on getting started? Anyone made the jump from aviation to healthcare?

Thank you all.
Dude, I know a lot about both of these fields, and if you're already just a few steps away: stay in aviation. You think being away days at a time from your family is bad? Do a thorough Google search on what medical school and residency is like regarding the pressures and time constraints you'll be placing on both you and your family. Both careers carry a lot of stress, but in the end being an aviator will afford you with more quality family time. If you're looking to be a pilar of strength for patients with disorders like your own, and also have ample time away from the job to see your child grow, you may want to look into nursing or perhaps a physician assistant program, but even those will carry a weighted burden for some time regarding missed opportunities with the family when you're off studying or rounding (more the latter than the former).

You should post this in the non traditional students section of the site! There are many people there like you, but i agree with the poster above that you should stay on the track you are on....

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you all.

It sounds like you're set up pretty good right now. I'm not sure making the jump to the medical field would be worth it. If you can't see yourself doing anything else then you should absolutely go with it, but don't do it just because of being away from your family because there isn't much to gain.

Thank you all.

In residency you will also be away days at a time in that you could be working 14 hour night float shifts, for multiple weeks at a time, sleeping during the day and barely seeing them. Or having full weekends in later med school and throughout residency, if not your career, where you are on call and working. Going into medicine to spend more time with family is just very poorly thought out.