• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Career Changer Post Bac Advice

Eti188

May 1, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! Hope all is going well with you and your family! I am a career changer looking for post bac programs. Currently I have an offer from NYU. I am reaching out as I feel very undecided given the concerns below. Any tips you have I would really really really appreciate!!

1. I am not sure if starting in fall/spring matter, Fall 2020 is my only option if I want to start ASAP, but that means I can't apply to other smaller and more prestigious programs like Georgetown, JHU or Bryn Mawr. On the other hand, I am not sure if it's worth the wait, especially an offer will not be guaranteed next year.
2. My undergrad GPA was 3.9+ at a top 20 college, no bio/chem background. I've heard people saying no need to do expensive programs like NYU, but I wonder if the prestige and structured program will help me to achieve my goal of becoming a MD. Also, Fall 2020 will likely be online courses, and therefore I am not sure if it will be worth the money.
3. Any program recommendations from you? Or easily neglected aspects of those programs that you think are actually important?

I sincerely wish to have your advice! Anything from choosing between community college or private school post bac, program recommendations, and starting semester recommendations! Thank you very much! :)

2020NonTrad

I am Alpharius
2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2019
  1. Medical Student
For what it's worth, I did a DIY post-bacc at a podunk state school. I came into it with a criminology degree and no science background. I had 6 T20 acceptances this cycle and never once did my decision of doing a cheap DIY post-bacc at a state school come up in interviews.

mintydaisy13!

2+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2018
For what it's worth, I did a DIY post-bacc at a podunk state school. I came into it with a criminology degree and no science background. I had 6 T20 acceptances this cycle and never once did my decision of doing a cheap DIY post-bacc at a state school come up in interviews.
I'm also a career changer with a high undergrad GPA. Can you talk about your post bacc experience and how you went about planning your coursework?

About the Ads

2020NonTrad

I am Alpharius
2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I'm also a career changer with a high undergrad GPA. Can you talk about your post bacc experience and how you went about planning your coursework?
Sure. I was still working more than 40 hours a week and had to commute about 90 miles to the closest university, so I only did 2 courses and 2 labs per semester. I did it like this:

Semester 1 (was a spring semester):
Gen Chem 1 and Lab
Physics 1 and Lab
Summer: Started research in a lab - continued the research in the coming semesters
Semester 2:
Gen Chem 2 and Lab
Physics 2 and Lab
Semester 3:
Organic Chem 1 and Lab
Bio 1 and Lab
Semester 4:
Biochemistry
Cellular and Molecular Biology
Winter break: Took MCAT
Semester 5:
Organic Chem 2 and Lab
Statistics
Summer: Applied to med school.

It could definitely be done in less time if you're able to take more classes than I did. Between full-time work, research, and school, I didn't want to push myself. I was never questioned during interviews on why I only took 2 courses at a time. Overall, I enjoyed the post-bacc and would do it again, but it was very time-consuming.

May 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Sure. I was still working more than 40 hours a week and had to commute about 90 miles to the closest university, so I only did 2 courses and 2 labs per semester. I did it like this:

Gen Chem 1 and Lab
Physics 1 and Lab
Summer: Started research in a lab - continued the research in the coming semesters
Semester 2:
Gen Chem 2 and Lab
Physics 2 and Lab
Semester 3:
Organic Chem 1 and Lab
Bio 1 and Lab
Semester 4:
Biochemistry
Semester 5:
Organic Chem 2 and Lab
Statistics

It could definitely be done in less time if you're able to take more classes than I did. Between full-time work, research, and school, I didn't want to push myself. I was never questioned during interviews on why I only took 2 courses at a time. Overall, I enjoyed the post-bacc and would do it again, but it was very time-consuming.

How were your cGPA and sGPA before and after your DIY post-bacc?

How did you obtain a research position?

Thank you!

2020NonTrad

I am Alpharius
2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2019
  1. Medical Student
How were your cGPA and sGPA before and after your DIY post-bacc?

How did you obtain a research position?

Thank you!

My cGPA was like 3.6x prior to my post-bacc and my sGPA was like 3.8x but I only took a couple of BCPM courses prior to my post-bacc. I thought it was a 4.0 prior to AMCAS but then they considered an online criminology statistics course that I got a B in as BCPM. At the end of my post-bacc, my cGPA was just under a 3.8 and my sGPA was a bit over 3.9.

As for research, I just checked out my university's website that listed various labs. I looked into a few of them and then sent the PI of one an email asking to get involved in research at his lab. He had me send him my resume and I met with him at a poster presentation. After the meeting he scheduled an interview for a summer internship and then I continued to do research in the lab after the summer was over.

mintydaisy13!

2+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2018
thank y

Gen Chem 1 and Lab
Physics 1 and Lab
Semester 2:
Gen Chem 2 and Lab
Physics 2 and Lab
Semester 3:
Organic Chem 1 and Lab
Bio 1 and Lab
Semester 4:
Biochemistry
Semester 5:
Organic Chem 2 and Lab
Statistics

Thank you for responding. it's comforting to know that this is still doable without a formal post bac program

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.