Career changing dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,

I am from Texas and began school in Fall 02, and came out with horrid grades for my science classes. Switched to hotel & restaurant management and graduated in Spring 08. I have been managing for two years now, but I do not feel that my work pushes me to the limit and allows me to utilize the old noggin.

I have decided to pursue the Pharm.D program, but I am at a tremendous disadvantage with my prior grades.

I plan on retaking these courses to better my GPA, but when combined with these grades, it comes out to a flat 3.0.

The grades:

Bio I: F
Bio II: F
Chem I: C
Chem II: C
Statistics: C
History I: C
History II: D
Poly Sci I: C
Poly Sci II: C
Public Speaking: C

Only grades I have working for me are:

Eng I: A
Eng II: A

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA with Hotel & Restaurant Management working 50 hour work weeks and taking 18-23 hours of classes for two years.

I am willing to sacrifice my current salaried job and commit to focusing on all pre-req's for the Pharm.D program. Most of these grades were made during my first 2 years in college. From that point forward, my grades progressed to B's and finally to A's for the remaining 2 years. Part of it has to do with my mother being diagnosed with colon cancer and passing away after 3 years of treatment.

Regardless of the volunteer work, leadership roles in organizations, and if I receive a high PCAT score, my biggest concern is that schools will look at my GPA and dismiss me from having the opportunity to interview with them.

From my understanding, there are schools that take a combined average of the courses, some that take the highest grade for repeated courses, and some that do not accept grades that are 5 years or older.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Currently, I am studying to become a CPhT and plan on applying for a pharm tech job. I am also actively seeking for volunteer work. Keep in mind, I do not begin going back to school as a post-bacc student until August.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone.

Regards,
tuu

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to do the work, and to bust your ass for a few years, you'll do just fine. I myself was accepted with a 2.97 cGPA, which was low for the reasons you just described.

You seem like you know what you want and how to get it, the hard part now is actually doing it. You've got the right idea and the right plan , so I'm afraid I can't offer you anything more other than a good luck!

The advisor from University of Houston COP stated that I should not retake any more than (6) of the courses, as the admissions board does look to see how many retakes applicants have. My original plan was to retake the majority of my pre-reqs, and I still feel that this is the best overall route to take since I do plan on applying to other schools.

I have touched base with the Associate Dean of the UH COP, since a P3 friend of mine informed me that I should start talking to her with hopes that it will assist me with the admissions process, since she is on the admissions board for the Pharm.D program. I am very impressed with the assistance and guidance I have received from individuals at UH COP. It is my top choice, but I have to be realistic and think of the worst case scenario as well.

Repeat All vs. Repeat Few... any suggestions?

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
The advisor from University of Houston COP stated that I should not retake any more than (6) of the courses, as the admissions board does look to see how many retakes applicants have. My original plan was to retake the majority of my pre-reqs, and I still feel that this is the best overall route to take since I do plan on applying to other schools.

I have touched base with the Associate Dean of the UH COP, since a P3 friend of mine informed me that I should start talking to her with hopes that it will assist me with the admissions process, since she is on the admissions board for the Pharm.D program. I am very impressed with the assistance and guidance I have received from individuals at UH COP. It is my top choice, but I have to be realistic and think of the worst case scenario as well.

Repeat All vs. Repeat Few... any suggestions?

:)

If that is the school you wish to apply to, then you'll have to follow their guidlines. Personally because you've been out of school for so long, I would think most schools would not have an issue with you simply retaking everthing. You might have to do it under a post-bac program, but I can't imagine it would be a problem.

The big thing is not to focus on one school. You're gonna be in the same boat as I was and I had to spread things out for requirements at a bunch of schools.

+1.

I'm assuming some of those class were taken over 5 years ago since you started in 2002...you're going to need to cast a wide net when applying and having retaken those classes is more likely to help, not hurt.

You'll probably be okay if you retake your classes and get good grades but you could also consider USN as a backup plan. They have academic forgiveness which means they don't count your old grades at all if they are more than five years old and you have taken all your prereqs within the past five years. If things don't work out at your top choices, you still have that option.

I preferably would like to stay in Texas, but with my situation I do plan on applying to outside schools. However, from my understanding, it is difficult to get in as well since majority of schools accept applicants from their own state, and difficult if it is a public university.

I have read other threads which other students are in the same predicament as myself, and am glad that there is still plenty of hope. Pharmacy is rapidly growing, and schools are becoming a lot more competitive.

Plans prior to re-entering school are:

--CPhT within a month
--Pharm Tech job after CPhT
--Apply for volunteer opportunities (recommendations?)
--Become active member in a pharmacy association (recommendations?)
--Become active member in cultural association
--Quit salaried job at end of July

I preferably would like to stay in Texas, but with my situation I do plan on applying to outside schools. However, from my understanding, it is difficult to get in as well since majority of schools accept applicants from their own state, and difficult if it is a public university.

I have read other threads which other students are in the same predicament as myself, and am glad that there is still plenty of hope. Pharmacy is rapidly growing, and schools are becoming a lot more competitive.

Plans prior to re-entering school are:

--CPhT within a month
--Pharm Tech job after CPhT
--Apply for volunteer opportunities (recommendations?)
--Become active member in cultural association
--Quit salaried job at end of July

It may not be as difficult to go out of state than you think because schools look for different things. For instance, all the schools I have been accepted to are nowhere near where I actually live.

Talk to pharmacists you know and see if they are planning on attending any local/state meetings. As far as money goes, you can register to attend a state meeting without being a member of that association and not spend hundreds of bucks.

American Society of Health-System Pharmacy (ASHP), American Pharmacists' Association (APhA), and American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) are all possibilities...check out their websites. Even better, contact any board members of these associations that live near you (again, may have more luck with state level...little more accessible).

I will get bashed for this, but retail pharmacy isn't the most intellectual job either. I mean sure retail pharmacists are smart people, it's just that the corporate structure has forced pharmacists to work as fast as possible, often sacrificing those clinical skills that are so important. Given that the majority of pharmacists are retail pharmacists, I just want to give you a heads up about this.

If you want to be a clinical pharmacist, there'll be a lot more critical thinking involved, but you have to get one of those jobs first (most likely completing a residency after graduation to get one of these jobs), and in this economy those jobs aren't plentiful and all these new schools opening up don't help.