Career Explorers Program

jballer91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Junior in HS and strongly considering a career in pharmacy so I have been intrigued about the Career Explorers Program that Midwestern College of Pharmacy (Downers Grove, IL) offers over the Summer. In summary, it is a 6 week program M-F 6-8 hours each day. About half the time you spend in a classroom learning basic pharm tech things and the other half you spend working in a walgreens or Osco Drug and you get paid $1200 in the end. I'm not doing it for the money or anything, just the experience so that I can be certain that this could be what I want to do in my future. Which is why I want to do it the summer of my Jr. year and not my Sr. year because by next year I will have already decided where to go and what to major in . But the only reason I am hesitant is that it seems like a big committment and pretty much will take up my entire summer. Has anyone out there done such a program, I am pretty sure that there are similar programs in different states. Just looking for some feedback and comments...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jballer91,

Welcome to SDN. If you are interested to join H.SDN, read this.

For your career exploration program, you should do it. Some people even pay money to learn about pharmacy tech certificate.

If you can get the certificate in the summer and even get paid to study for it, it is a good deal.

I agree with Tennis, go for it if you're really interested. It sounds like an amazing oportunity to learn more about the field and I'm sure you'll get lots of good experience.

If you think you're going to have conflicts though I would be careful; you'll want to be as devoted as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Go for it. Better to spend six weeks and find out that you can't stand pharmacy than to spend the next ten or so years becoming a pharmacist, only to discover that you hate your job and you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I wish that I'd had an opportunity like this for medicine.

Go for it!

Way to put a possitive spin on things Tib. haha.

It's okay, we love you anyways.

:love:

And now, we stop, before we hijack this thread as well...

Seriously! I don't even mean to do it anymore... it just happens ya'know?

I think its a great opportunity. It will probably take up your whole summer, but it'll give you an insight if you really want to pursue it. It is also better to spend the summer seeing if this is for you then a couple of years and your own money. In our area the university has this kind of program for medicine and i'm going for it. It's valuable experience and a very interesting time you will have there.

Hello again, so I did decide on applying to this program. The application is due in the beginning of March. It requires two short essays (max 250 words). I was wondering if anyone could/want to proofread them. Thanks in advance.

Hello jballer91,
how did you find this program? through the internet... or how? Because i am looking for a summer program but they all cost like 3000$ instead of paying you money.
You can PM me if you want.
I'd really appreciate a response from you.
Thanks!

Hi, I am a Junior in HS and strongly considering a career in pharmacy so I have been intrigued about the Career Explorers Program that Midwestern College of Pharmacy (Downers Grove, IL) offers over the Summer. In summary, it is a 6 week program M-F 6-8 hours each day. About half the time you spend in a classroom learning basic pharm tech things and the other half you spend working in a walgreens or Osco Drug and you get paid $1200 in the end. I'm not doing it for the money or anything, just the experience so that I can be certain that this could be what I want to do in my future. Which is why I want to do it the summer of my Jr. year and not my Sr. year because by next year I will have already decided where to go and what to major in . But the only reason I am hesitant is that it seems like a big committment and pretty much will take up my entire summer. Has anyone out there done such a program, I am pretty sure that there are similar programs in different states. Just looking for some feedback and comments...thanks!
hey jballer91, i'm applying to this program. did you enjoy it? please let me know what you thought of this program thanks :)