Career help (Radiology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay_Bond

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am looking to pursue a career in Veterinary Radiology. I currently hold a bachelor's degree in veterinary science from India (BVSc & AH) and am looking to study and eventually work in the US or Canada (UK is also an option if possible).
Please advise me on what I can and need to do in order to become a successful practitioner in this field.
All advice and help are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to gain a license to practice veterinary medicine in the US or Canada, which means you'll either need to go through the ECFVG program (various competency tests and fees), or go back to vet school in the US or Canada. Then you will have to get accepted at an internship and then a radiology residency before you can apply to become a Diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Radiology. Of course, all those things require the appropriate visas allowing you to live and go to school there.

Good luck - it's not a fast or easy road.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely seems like a long process. Thank you for the info.

At certain academic institutions, the ECFVG is not needed for internship/residency - in these cases, both US and foreign graduates practice under the academic license of the university. A state license is always needed for private practice, and as a foreign graduate, the ECFVG or PAVE will be needed.

Regardless of academic or private practice, a foreign graduate will always need a VISA/green card. More and more institutions are not taking foreign graduates as it's harder to obtain a VISA these days and they are getting approved very close or even after the program start date.