Career in India after medical education in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindCastle15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I'm an US citizen(born there) but I completed high school from India. I'm considering 3 options- studying in US/UK/India(i.e.- if I get anywhere)...I want to have the option of working both in the US and India (I am not sure yet). My questions:
1) If I complete my medical education in the US, will I be able to work in India with a MD degree?
2) How difficult is it to get into residency in the US after MBBS from 1)India 2)UK? I really need info on this one- facts, not hearsay. Considering I'm a US citizen, I think my situation will be slightly different.
Also, I have been fortunate enough to not worry about finances, so money is not the biggest issue.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok...so I'm an US citizen(born there) but I completed high school from India. I'm considering 3 options- studying in US/UK/India(i.e.- if I get anywhere)...I want to have the option of working both in the US and India (I am not sure yet). My questions:
1) If I complete my medical education in the US, will I be able to work in India with a MD degree?
2) How difficult is it to get into residency in the US after MBBS from 1)India 2)UK? I really need info on this one- facts, not hearsay. Considering I'm a US citizen, I think my situation will be slightly different.
Also, I have been fortunate enough to not worry about finances, so money is not the biggest issue.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

The raw numbers are on page 22. 30% of the US citizens who graduated from Indian medical schools matched into a program in the US in 2014. It says nothing about the quality of those specialties or whether they're even categorical programs. If you like those odds, then I guess an Indian medical school might seem like a good option. I'd also point out that those are actually worse odds than your Indian counterparts attending the same schools.

My recommendation: Go for a US MD. There's a reason why 2000 Indian doctors apply every year to go into our residency programs. How many US doctors do the same in India?

You can fairly easily work in other countries with a US MD, with requirements varying per country, but for many people the massive debt they take on during MD school makes it necessary to work in the US where the physician wages are much much higher than outside the US. Something to consider unless you are filthy rich and will not need loans to pay for med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like those odds, then I guess an Indian medical school might seem like a good option. I'd also point out that those are actually worse odds than your Indian counterparts attending the same schools.
Why would I be in a worse position than my Indian counterparts? As for why I'm considering education in India- 1) I'm an Indian, I live here as of now, and want to come back sometime in the future 2) Another reason for considering UK/India is because its cheaper, and less time-consuming- an important factor for me, since I am interested in research later on, and already know that I have a long way to go. I'm absolutely aware of the positives of an US medical education, but I think I have valid reasons for choosing to not study there. The only good thing is that I'm undecided between pure basic science research, and medicine (I'm not too interested in seeing patints) so the US system will give me the time and oppurtunties to decide.

Why would I be in a worse position than my Indian counterparts? As for why I'm considering education in India- 1) I'm an Indian, I live here as of now, and want to come back sometime in the future 2) Another reason for considering UK/India is because its cheaper, and less time-consuming- an important factor for me, since I am interested in research later on, and already know that I have a long way to go. I'm absolutely aware of the positives of an US medical education, but I think I have valid reasons for choosing to not study there. The only good thing is that I'm undecided between pure basic science research, and medicine (I'm not too interested in seeing patints) so the US system will give me the time and oppurtunties to decide.
Sorry, I just read through the link you sent me and understand what you meant now. But this seems extremely odd- I have read everywhere else (from official sources too) that the US residency programs will see it this way- citizens with US degree> citizens with non-US degree> non-citizens with non-US degree. :/

It's much easier to get a job in India with a US MD than it is to get a job/residency in the US with an Indian MD. The choice should be easy

What you are describing is called brain-drain and is actively avoided by US MD and other grad programs. If it looks like you plan to get your education and get out, you will not stand a chance. The few international MD and residency spots go to people that are convincingly interested in staying in the US

I just quoted you the numbers. You refuted me with reasons why you want to study in India. Your reasons are honestly irrelevant as they don't change the fact that studying in India will make it very difficult to get a residency in the US. Which priority is more important to you? Your stated reasons for studying in India or a residency in the US?