Careers in Medicine website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdahoFZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide which specialty to pursue, and I'm on the fence between 2 very different ends of the spectrum. I was looking for resources to help me make my decision, and read about the AMA's careers in medicine website. But...when I tried to sign up for it, I was kindly informed that my school doesn't pay for a subscription service for us, and it would be $75 a year for a membership. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Anyway, I wanted to shamelessly ask if anyone has a login & password I could borrow for a couple days, just to try it out, and get some ideas. Message me if you have access and are willing. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

stop being cheap. if this is truly going to impact career decisions, pony up the cash or you aren't serious.

Wow...thanks for that contribution. I'm not even sure the website would be that helpful, and before I blow 75 bucks on it I'd like to get an idea. When you're going to med school with 3 kids and trying to figure out how to pay for interview & audition rotation season, 75 bucks is a lot.

I have to say I'm a bit shocked you'd even take the time to say something like that. I've generally found people on this site to be much more helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
poor baby, you're about to enter a profession where you're making 200k+ a year. take some loans out.

I don't, but if I recall it was included with student membership.

Googling the dues shows 4 years is $68... This alone is less expensive.

Plus, if the $ is spent as part of a "job hunt," it's tax deductible... $60-75 may indeed be a significant chunk of change given your situation; but tax deductions are bangarang.

Good luck!
-d

Agree with paying AMA dues. I believe the $68 covers all four years of med school. There are more benefits with an AMA membership like free print issues of JAMA and I think you get a free gift for signing up.

But it's the AMA...
The biggest joke of the physician community.

What are you specifically looking for? I don't have a login/etc but I can't seem to imagine there's something magical on that site you can't find for free elsewhere on the internet.

It's not that great of a website. We get it free but it wasn't as helpful as this website can be.

I don't, but if I recall it was included with student membership.

Googling the dues shows 4 years is $68... This alone is less expensive.

Plus, if the $ is spent as part of a "job hunt," it's tax deductible... $60-75 may indeed be a significant chunk of change given your situation; but tax deductions are bangarang.

Good luck!
-d
I read somewhere that expenses related to residency applications and interviews were not tax-deductible. Is that wrong? Should I be deducting that this year?

Also, I didn't find CiM much more helpful than any of the free resources out there (UVA's MSAS, forums, specialty websites, etc.)...but that's just me...