carib + us allo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amikhchi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i've been accepted to SGU for this upcoming fall semester and am currently on hold (post-interview) at a US allopathic school...

Obviously, I prefer to stay in the US and attend school here, but that may not be an option... I have heard that when on hold you may be notified just as late as a week before class starts that you are accepted...

my question is if i pay the deposit to hold my place at SGU and even pay a bigger chunk of the 1st semester tuition, and i end up getting accepted to the US school, will I get a refund (i know the initial $1000 deposit is non-refundable, but i'm referring to the rest)... also is this even allowed? i have heard that you can't hold more than 1 spot after a specific date, but i assumed this only held true for AMCAS schools

Members don't see this ad.

So, i've been accepted to SGU for this upcoming fall semester and am currently on hold (post-interview) at a US allopathic school...

Obviously, I prefer to stay in the US and attend school here, but that may not be an option... I have heard that when on hold you may be notified just as late as a week before class starts that you are accepted...

my question is if i pay the deposit to hold my place at SGU and even pay a bigger chunk of the 1st semester tuition, and i end up getting accepted to the US school, will I get a refund (i know the initial $1000 deposit is non-refundable, but i'm referring to the rest)... also is this even allowed? i have heard that you can't hold more than 1 spot after a specific date, but i assumed this only held true for AMCAS schools

The rule saying you can't have multiple spots after a specific date is set up to prevent folks holding multiple seats. If you have a seat, get off a waitlist at another place, you generally will have a period of time to decide which of those seats you want to proceed with, ie you are allowed to make a jump to a waitlisted spot even if you held a spot. At most US allo schools you can get your deposit back up to a certain date, but after that it might be lost. I suspect with offshore schools you either use it or lose it, but it's up to the school.

Depends on the school's policy. Most US schools anway will refund at least a large portion of your tuition if you withdraw before school starts. Tuition isn't usually due until the first day of class, so that might be a help. Even if it cost you 25 grand :eek: it would still be worth it to take the US spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find out when the SGU tuition is due. If it's not until right around when school starts, stall as long as possible.

Since you have received an interview at a US allo and have been waitlisted that means you are candidate with credential close to that required to go to US allo schools. I think it would be worth it take a year off and reapply before you head down to the Caribbean. Also, can you defer your spot for a semester at SGU to see if anything happens at the waitlisted school?

Yeah, if this is your first round of applications, stay here and see what happens. You could always enter SGU in January if things dont go through as planned here. thats exactly what I did, went through one application process here (waitlisted) then accepted to SGU and asked to enter in January but then got my acceptances (second application cycle) here.

3rd application round, and the notice they sent me says $1000 non-refundable 1st deposit (due soon), then another 4000 by may 15th (but it doesn't say non-refundable), and then remainder (for 1st term) by july 15th... i don't mind losing the 1000 non-refundable deposit, but would it be a bad idea to contact SGU and let them know what's going on and ask them or should i not mention that i would rather goto another school than theirs?

3rd application round, and the notice they sent me says $1000 non-refundable 1st deposit (due soon), then another 4000 by may 15th (but it doesn't say non-refundable), and then remainder (for 1st term) by july 15th... i don't mind losing the 1000 non-refundable deposit, but would it be a bad idea to contact SGU and let them know what's going on and ask them or should i not mention that i would rather goto another school than theirs?

eh, I dont know that I would contact them and tel them your hoping to go elsewhere. Its a tough personal decision, I decided to simply defer to Jan instead of trying to decide about the money. I dont think they just defer to Jan for everyone though, I think you "technically" have to go through the acceptance process again. Although, doubt it would be a different outcome.

Just ask them what their refund policy is. It might even be on their website.

You are one dedicated individual.

I don't think it's that great of an idea to mention it. Definitely put the grand down then if you don't mind losing it (prob very low chance on getting it back).

Besides that, best of luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to weigh in here as a medical school administrator and veteran admissions committee member. Your offshore program is probably the strongest one right now, but in the end it remains part of a separate sovereign nation. Look VERY VERY closely into the laws that govern any state in which you think you will practice medicine. I just got embroiled in a case in Texas (not even my state!) trying to help an SGU graduate prove to the Texas Medical Board that she was legitimate.

If you survey enough residency sites you will see that offshore students do get placed. But know what your vulnerabilities are. Good luck!

people like this should not be in charge of lives. Human lives.

What do you mean "people like this"?

Hey I have the same problem.
I have been accepted to Ross and waitlisted at Meharry. I have until May 1st to give Ross my deposit..
I have been talking to a lot of ppl about this so I think im just going to try to defer Ross admission until May next year and APPLY to US MD again. I will apply early so by feb or march if I havent been accepted then I will go to Ross.

I think you should think about doing what I might be doing.

well consiering a lot of schools discourage 3rd-time applicants, i don't think they'll be too thrilled about 4th time applicants... if they don't think i'm determined by now, they never will...

I did what you are doing, i got accepted to SGU last year, chose to defer, retake mcat (improved 5 pts) and reapply (1st day)... only 1 interview since then (and yes i applied BROADLY)... and as of now i'm on the hold list...

well consiering a lot of schools discourage 3rd-time applicants, i don't think they'll be too thrilled about 4th time applicants... if they don't think i'm determined by now, they never will...

I did what you are doing, i got accepted to SGU last year, chose to defer, retake mcat (improved 5 pts) and reapply (1st day)... only 1 interview since then (and yes i applied BROADLY)... and as of now i'm on the hold list...

That may change things. If you truly believe you have no shot at getting into a US school next cycle, then there is no shame in going Carib. Did you apply DO?

I applied to a few (around 5-6 schools) DO schools but I guess i applied a little too late or for whatever reason they felt I did not exemplfy a candidate with genuine interest in the osteopathic philosophy... i suppose it's my fault for applying late (to the DO programs, NOT the MD) but in any case, i think i've had about as much stress as I could possibly have and i've spent nearly 10k$ over the past 3 years for mcat classes, mcat texts, mcat exams, and applications... and all i have to show for it is an SGU acceptance and a single US allo interview --> hold list...

good luck to everyone else

I don't know what school this is, but couldn't you try courting them? LOI, updates, letters explaining how you fit the mission of their school and how it's the only school you want to be at (has to be true at this point in time, right?). Letters, calling, calling, letters, love songs, all of that?

If you've done all of that and more, then I guess it's time to hang up the gloves and go with the sure thing. :(

I applied to a few (around 5-6 schools) DO schools but I guess i applied a little too late or for whatever reason they felt I did not exemplfy a candidate with genuine interest in the osteopathic philosophy... i suppose it's my fault for applying late (to the DO programs, NOT the MD) but in any case, i think i've had about as much stress as I could possibly have and i've spent nearly 10k$ over the past 3 years for mcat classes, mcat texts, mcat exams, and applications... and all i have to show for it is an SGU acceptance and a single US allo interview --> hold list...

good luck to everyone else

Hey man, dont freak out. SGU provides you an MD just like the other schools. I was very concerned about practicing in Texas and did significant research about it. Texas is the second hardest state to get licensed in (California being #1 apparently) and SGU is actually listed as an equivalent school by the Texas Medical Board. So dont get disappointed if its your only route, its not a bad route, its just US is better if possible. There are lots of VERY successful SGU grads.

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/physicians/applicants/education.php

42200 GRENADA (WEST INDIES)
42201 ST GEORGE'S UNIV, ST GEORGE'S

One other idea, is network with some DO's this year and apply next cycle early, and only to DO schools.

SGU might not be a bad option for you. Just realize what you are getting into. They won't hold your hand down there, and if you don't perform stellarly, you could have a hard time getting a job. That 10k in app fees will pale in comparison to a year at SGU. You have the smarts, and as long as you work your butt off, there's no reason why you can't succeed.

One other idea, is network with some DO's this year and apply next cycle early, and only to DO schools.

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind going through a another application cycle just for DO. Why not include MD as well, broaden the application? If one is waiting anyway, I think its counterintuitive to not apply to both.

Just curious as to the reasoning, I might be missing something. Probably am.

Completely agree with this. Network with some DOs during this year (shadow them, volunteer at a hospital where you can get to know one, etc.) and get them to write you a stellar LoR. In my opinion, this is a much better option than going the Carib MD route (despite having an acceptance there).

Those sly bastards. No offense. That May 15th date isn't arbitrary...

I don't know what school this is, but couldn't you try courting them? LOI, updates, letters explaining how you fit the mission of their school and how it's the only school you want to be at (has to be true at this point in time, right?). Letters, calling, calling, letters, love songs, all of that?

If you've done all of that and more, then I guess it's time to hang up the gloves and go with the sure thing. :(

I've sent a letter of intent even though the school says no updates other than official transcripts, i'll probably call and send another letter, just to show interest even though they say they don't want any updates...

just gotta hope for the best, hopefully there's a lot of wait/hold-list movement