Caribbean, Guadalajara and Philippines

Started by narf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

narf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
End of the day graduating from any of these schools you are an IMG... only thing that matters is that how you would do on your USMLE.


Carribbean
Pros: what I hear compared to Guadalajara and Philippines is that it has a stronger academic program and gets you prepared well for the USMLE

Cons: Expensive, depressing place(only a medical school on an island), not an enjoyable experience (could be a pro.. depends on how you look at it)

Guadalajara
Pros: good school, first year patient involvement, good city to live in for four years(could be a con depends on how you look at it), you leave the med school learning spanish(which is a huge pro)

Cons: I heard you have to do a year extra for internship after your 4years of med school, self studying for USMLE

Philippines
Pros: CHEAP!!! You would be leaving after 4years in Philippines probably spending $35k TOTAL.. including books, housing, food and tuition!... it doesn't get any better than that!

Cons: Maybe a little biased and unfriendly to non-Filipinos(not too sure on that), self study for USMLE, extra year for internship


These are just what I am thinking and from the little amount that I have read...wanted to clarify on these statements and add to them. Thanks!
 
so many views and no comments?
Which do you guys think is the best way to go? Philippines? because it's so cheap!
 
so many views and no comments?
Which do you guys think is the best way to go? Philippines? because it's so cheap!

Eastern Europe, China, India are all cheap too, cheapest being 5K a year. Depends on the school, fairly good education, but they don't teach to the test. Many are taught in English, or their native languages.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Eastern Europe, China, India are all cheap too, cheapest being 5K a year. Depends on the school, fairly good education, but they don't teach to the test. Many are taught in English, or their native languages.

I'm a US citizen and am planning on becoming an MD over here.. I graduated about 5 years ago and my GPA has no shot in US medschools... but more and more I am thinking is that the philippines is the way to go.. regardless if I pay a boatload of money to the carrib or mexico.. I still have a low chance of anything besides primary care.. so why not just go to philipinnes.. selft study for USMLE.. have no debt and get some primary care residency back here in 4 years!

doesn't make any sense why everyone goes to Caribbean..... am i right?
 
The issue with the Carib is that the clinical years are in the US. No doubt, that gives carib students a better shot. The carib schools are, in general, better known than phillipine schools.

So, I'd find out where people who graduated from the schools you are looking at ended up training. Also, you should plan to do some US rotations early in your final year, or plan on a break year between graduating and starting residency. Most schools now charge relatively large fees for doing an away rotation for IMG's, but presumably you'll have saved a bunch and so that might not be a problem.
 
The issue with the Carib is that the clinical years are in the US. No doubt, that gives carib students a better shot. The carib schools are, in general, better known than phillipine schools.

So, I'd find out where people who graduated from the schools you are looking at ended up training. Also, you should plan to do some US rotations early in your final year, or plan on a break year between graduating and starting residency. Most schools now charge relatively large fees for doing an away rotation for IMG's, but presumably you'll have saved a bunch and so that might not be a problem.

exactly.. my goal would be from day one start studying for the STEP/USMLE, and doing rotations in the US after I pass the STEP... living expenses and tuition would be basically nothing so at least I wouldnt be stressed with all the loan burden. Any filipino med students that are practicing in the USA? Do you guys/gals want to chime in?
 
One thing I know is that, The greatest FMG residents in US are coming from first India and later from Philippines. For India this FMG population is understandable regarding their over-a-billion population, but its an amazing thing to see that a 100 million, low-income society (which means to have limited means to develop themselves) is sending the higest 2nd FMG population to US. This is a good reason for Philippinos to be proud of.

By the way I am from Turkey and I, as well, would like to know more about Philippines med schools and do they succeed it?