caribbean img matching into good program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i really searched the FAQ's and old threads for a good answer but I cant seem to find it. Basically Im a med student from saba university in the caribbean....did well on my boards (248/99), getting good evals during clinicals so far and trying to get some research done = basically doing everything i can to appear competitive. I also really want to do anesthesia at the big programs that are bandied about on this forum at a good university setting. Just wanted to hear from those in the field or with experience matching exactly wat my odds are. I've heard that no matter how hard I try I'll probably end up in IM like all the other IMGs so throw me a lifeline here but only if its true haha (not that IM is bad but im really feeling gas)

Thanks, hope to hear from y'all

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, i really searched the FAQ's and old threads for a good answer but I cant seem to find it. Basically Im a med student from saba university in the caribbean....did well on my boards (248/99), getting good evals during clinicals so far and trying to get some research done = basically doing everything i can to appear competitive. I also really want to do anesthesia at the big programs that are bandied about on this forum at a good university setting. Just wanted to hear from those in the field or with experience matching exactly wat my odds are. I've heard that no matter how hard I try I'll probably end up in IM like all the other IMGs so throw me a lifeline here but only if its true haha (not that IM is bad but im really feeling gas)

Thanks, hope to hear from y'all

BUMP....hey in the same position, though I m just finished 1st term here at SGU and a while away from boards and applying; Interested in anesthesia also. From what I understand anesthesia is obtainable for carrib grads with above average (dont have to be super amazing) board scores and grades. Sgu has about 20 to 30 anesthia matches from year to year (thats out of about 400 students matching) and I think I ve seen saba to have atleast a few every year also.

I dont have first hand experience though...maybe people with more first hand experience or know of people they work with from the carrib could chime in??

congrats on rocking the boards. you are not limited to IM. apply and interview widely, try to do an away or two at places you want to go. above average carib grads can match. the only two places i came across IMGS on the interview trail was miami and vcu, so put those places on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great shot....The magic number I've come up with over the years is >220 for IMG's and and a good CV. Apply broadly and you should have the opportunity to cancel an interview or two.

Pm me for any questions.

Add John Hopkins to the IMG haters. Had good scores.....They downloaded my application and sent a rejection within minutes.

Actually, Darkman, i've recently written a formula to determine what specialty you are most competitive for. perhaps it will help you also...

[USMLE step 1 score x 0.01] + [USMLE step 2 score x 0.01] + [max bench press] -[FMG*] = Q

(FMG's should subtract 50, USMG's do not subtract)

Q value correlates:
0- 199 = FM, PEDS
200- 249 = IM, OB
250- 274 = Gas, Derm, Rads, Optho
275- 299 = ER, Surg
>300 = Ortho

So, as you can see, the very fact that you are an IMG puts you at a significant disadvantage already. It seems you're efforts are likely best spent doing dumbbell fly supersets rather than surfing SDN like I am you bum.

(BTW, i got a great quote from Dr. A. remind to tell ya sometime)

I'm also interested in gas, and possibly attending Saba soon. Of course I'm an FMG who would need a visa and the rest, which I think really limits my chances in the US of A.