Caribbean Med. School Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RITGrad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying to med. schools in the Caribbean. Will I be able to practice medicine in all 50 states? My understanding is that if you finish your residency in US, then you have to apply for license in a state you want to practice medicine in. Which I was told is relatively a simple process. Please advice!

Also, I have a masters in engineering and an MBA, and I really don't have time to study for MCAT. Which school would you guys recommend to apply? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going to Ross or Sgu no problem in USA.Other schools are like gambling on a boat.

I'm thinking of applying to med. schools in the Caribbean. Will I be able to practice medicine in all 50 states? My understanding is that if you finish your residency in US, then you have to apply for license in a state you want to practice medicine in. Which I was told is relatively a simple process. Please advice!

Also, I have a masters in engineering and an MBA, and I really don't have time to study for MCAT. Which school would you guys recommend to apply? Thanks!

If you really want to be able to practice in all 50 states, then apply to the big four: SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba. Right now, only a graduate from one of these four schools can obtain a license to practice in all 50 states. Also, have you already taken MCAT once? I think these schools generaly require an MCAT score from any US citizen who applies. If your MCAT is around 24-26, you should be able to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)

You 100% need the MCAT. There is no way around it. This is especially true since you are older.

Licensure is not a simple process for anybody, even US grads.

1) Take MCAT
2) Apply to US schools
3) Apply to St George's University, American University of the Caribbean, Saba University, Ross University
4) If you don't get into a US school, or the above 4, repeat Steps 1 and 3

i have a question related carribean medical schools. My sister is at ross university and she finished her first semester but failed biochemisty. She has the option to repeat her first semster and if she passes all of them this time the failing grade will be erased. If she choses to carry biochem into her second semester and continue with biochem plus her second semster classes it will be permanent on her transcripts that she failed a subject. I was wondering if she kept it as fail in order to save time and money would it affect her in getting into good rotations internships and residencies...or is the degree in the end all that matter to get internships and residencies.

i have a question related carribean medical schools. My sister is at ross university and she finished her first semester but failed biochemisty. She has the option to repeat her first semster and if she passes all of them this time the failing grade will be erased. If she choses to carry biochem into her second semester and continue with biochem plus her second semster classes it will be permanent on her transcripts that she failed a subject. I was wondering if she kept it as fail in order to save time and money would it affect her in getting into good rotations internships and residencies...or is the degree in the end all that matter to get internships and residencies.

The thing is, residency directors generally can't compare preclinical grades between US and Caribbean med schools, since both have their own methods of education and evaluation. Its like comparing apples and oranges. So, the only real objective measure to compare US and Caribbean med students is the USMLE. So, I think, in the case of your sister, the residency programs will be more likely to look at her USMLE score than her preclinical grades. That will be the only true method to compare her to the applicants who graduated from US schools. An F certainly won't look good, but provided she gets a high enough USMLE score, the residency programs may not focus on the F too much.