Caribbean Med School Question:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbsoluteEthanol

PHARMACY STUD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just had a really quick question for you, an acquitance of mine told me he got into a Caribbean medical school with a 2.42 GPA. Is this normally possible, or would he have to score 40+ on the MCAT to do this?

Thank you much!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the school. Some of them are really into the business, not the education, and will accept most that apply, knowing that they will be forced to drop out after not passing the Step 1. Others (AUC, St Georges, etc), are a competitive program and want to accept students that they feel can succeed. Many students attend those schools because they dont have the energy/finances/endurance to suffer through more than 1 round of US allopathic schools.

Short answer: some Caribbean schools - yes

Hey guys, i just had a really quick question for you, an acquitance of mine told me he got into a Caribbean medical school with a 2.42 GPA. Is this normally possible, or would he have to score 40+ on the MCAT to do this?

Thank you much!

While the top 3-5 Caribbean schools are actually becoming quite reputable, there are absolutely Caribbean and other offshore schools out there where the only requirement for admission is a working credit card. They take folks in at a high tuition, most fail out shortly thereafter (attrition is sky high), and of those that survive, most don't do well on the boards or place into anything stateside.

BTW, There is a Caribbean board for Caribbean oriented questions, not sure why you posted this in pre-allo. (This board is for folks hoping to attend LCME accredited (US, Canada, Puerto Rico) allopathic med schools). Your "acquaintance" can get a lot more info about offshore options there.

Members don't see this ad :)
money = acceptance

Thank you much!

As others have said, it depends on the school. Top-tier ones like SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba tend to be more selective. But there are quite a few Caribbean schools out there where the only things an applicant needs to get in are a pulse and enough money. Beware of these types of schools. A lot of them tend to be diploma mills.

As others have said, it depends on the school. Top-tier ones like SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba tend to be more selective. But there are quite a few Caribbean schools out there where the only things an applicant needs to get in are a pulse and enough money. Beware of these types of schools. A lot of them tend to be diploma mills.

I agree

The legit ones who accept the lowest GPA

are

MUA
AUA
Xavier
SJSM
Windsor

all these are WHO listed and IMED But are not California approved

MCAT would help but you need only 22 or better really

Good luck

money = acceptance

HA HA if only that was true, thats the Joke we pass around and some take it serious!

Truth is all the legit schools do turn people down I know SJSM has I have had the emails from upset people that were turned down!:eek: