Caribbean Medical School - AUC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dcolvin

I am looking for any input regarding the American University of the Caribbean, especialy from current or past students there. Specific questions other than the obvious "can I get a residency after graduating?", and "how does it compare to others such as SGU?", are can my wife (an RN) find work on the island and how is housing for a newly-wed couple?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I will tell you in all honesty that I do't feel that AUC is worth going to. I don't want that to be a disappointment, but I am a student at Saba and every semester we have more and more transfer students. The majority of them are from AUC. The comments I get from them are things like the size of the classes are too large making it more a weeding out process. They also say that it is nearly impossible to get rotations in the US but you can get them in Europe. HOwever, St. Maarten is beautiful and there is a lot to do. I like Saba because I am 15 minutes away from St. Maarten by plane and I feel the school is in a much better position. They only take the amount of students that will have room for. There are more clinical sites in the US than there are students. I would suggest looking into other schools as well. I did exactly what you are doing before I came here, and am relieved, now that I chose Saba. Good Luck

Academically, AUC is a good school, and I personally would rank it second after SGU.

I don't know much about the life style in AUC. But good luck.

Samer

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rank Saba with SGU. The curriculum is identicle to US schools, and it incorporates a USMLE review class. That is my opinion though. I really researched all of them before I came here, and am so glad I am here. Look at Saba.org

SABA indeed is an "up and comer" but dont forget to look at established track record of a school. Also beware of "skewed" residency lists; that is lots of "Yale" and the like when in reality grads are going to community programs (which may be excellent) associated with these places; again they may be tops but still, its misleading to put "Yale" When you mean "yale-norwalk" which is comminity.
This is not an accusation leveled at SABA; just a genereal caveat.

I am considering going to SABA. I have been accepted and i am supposed to begin this May. I am concernend about getting a residency of my choice and joining a good group after residency. Do you have internet access on the Island and if so, how fast is your connection? How is your experience so far and do you have an e-mail that I can write you at.
Originally posted by srose:
I will tell you in all honesty that I do't feel that AUC is worth going to. I don't want that to be a disappointment, but I am a student at Saba and every semester we have more and more transfer students. The majority of them are from AUC. The comments I get from them are things like the size of the classes are too large making it more a weeding out process. They also say that it is nearly impossible to get rotations in the US but you can get them in Europe. HOwever, St. Maarten is beautiful and there is a lot to do. I like Saba because I am 15 minutes away from St. Maarten by plane and I feel the school is in a much better position. They only take the amount of students that will have room for. There are more clinical sites in the US than there are students. I would suggest looking into other schools as well. I did exactly what you are doing before I came here, and am relieved, now that I chose Saba. Good Luck

It seems to me that every one here is saying " go Saba". Every time I have ever heard of some one ask about AUC, SABA is mentioned. The connection eludes me.
I would go to iether one, But here is my queston- I know that Saba has enough rotation sites, but what about AUC? never mind if they are in the UK. IS there enough?

AUC has been able to place ALL of their students into clinical rotations for he past 20 years that they have been around. Granted, not all of them are in the states, but the ones that are (about 25-30 spots) are in teaching hospitals. The rest are in UK and a few in Ireland. Also, AUC administration has recently announced that it will be opening a few more hosptals in NY and one in FL where both core and elective rotations will be done by AUC students. They said that for starters they will have about 100 spots and increase depending on the results of the trial period.
Nonetheless, these "new" spots will only be available 6-10 months from now and not soon enough for myself. However, I have spoken to many students who have gone to UK otations, and all of them (yes, every single one) has had no problem obtaining a residency of their choice. It all boils down to board scores however, so regardless of whether you are at AUC or another legitamate (St. Georges, AUC, Ross, Saba) caribbean school you will have to study hard in order to prepare for the boards.
As far as living conditions at AUC, they are considerably better that Grenada, Dominica or Saba. I have been to all thes islands, and there is no comparisons.
The AUC facility is a brand new building with great labs and library (just got a fragmented T1 connection for about 15 computers recently) and lecure halls. Saba facilities are lacking, but are sufficient for a motivated student. One of the more disturbing facts about Saba is their teaching staff - a friend of mine who is attending the school is thinking of transferring because their pathology professor is also an enrolled student at Saba. He may be qualified, but I still feel it is inappropriate.
If you have any questions about the specifics at AUC please visit the AUC unofficial forum at www.network54.com, there are a lot of current and former students there who will give you their honest opinion.
Finally, i would just like to say that no matter what foreign school you choose, it is still a foreign school and certain obstacle come with it. But, if you are really interesed in becoming a physician then go for it!

I am just curious. At the caribbean schools, do you use real cadavers, and if so, how many students per body?

I sense a hint of sarcasm in your post, however I will not dignify it with a sarcastic answer.
In my school we had approximaely 3-4 students per cadaver in the anatomy lab. In neuroanatomy lab each student had "their own" brain to work with.