Carribbean Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigtimer786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow dentist and aspiring dentist, I am posting this thread because I am between a rock and a hard place. I have recently applied to dental schools in the United States and I have received one interview. The rest of the schools are waiting for me to retake my DATs. I am getting scared that I might not get in and I dont want to waste another year. I was hoping can anyone give me information about dental schools in the carribbean or foreign countries, the process for applying, what I have to do if I want to come back to the states to practice, and would it be a good idea or not. Thank you all for your time and your patience.

Sincerely
Mohammed

Members don't see this ad.

I say study HARD for the DAT. I have never heard anything about Caribbean dental schools and if they exist you don't want to get screwed for licensure, etc.

Just take your DAT's. I know how you feel about waiting another year but you gotta take a risk.

Good luck

bigtimer786 said:
Hello fellow dentist and aspiring dentist, I am posting this thread because I am between a rock and a hard place. I have recently applied to dental schools in the United States and I have received one interview. The rest of the schools are waiting for me to retake my DATs. I am getting scared that I might not get in and I dont want to waste another year. I was hoping can anyone give me information about dental schools in the carribbean or foreign countries, the process for applying, what I have to do if I want to come back to the states to practice, and would it be a good idea or not. Thank you all for your time and your patience.

Sincerely
Mohammed

i think you should forget about going out of the country unless you want to face the trouble that the people in the international forum do about getting into advanced standing, etcetcetc. i just dont think it's worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
bigtimer786 said:

Sincerely
Mohammed

DO NOT GO ABROAD! It is not worth the pressures you will face upon returning.

If you were studying medicine, then that would be a viable choice.

There are no carribean dental schools.

Foregin graduates, upon returning to the US, are not licensed to practice and must undergo several years of dental school prior to obtaining a license. So, even if you did go elsewhere, you'd have to apply to an advanced standing program upon returning. Competition for those programs is often tougher than the regular programs.

A foreign trained dentist has to go through 2-3 years (mostly 3 since this year including California) of American Dental school in order to be licensed anyways. So if you dont get in this year, its better to reapply twice or thrice again before you start wasting any years. Dental school is not that hard to get into (staying there is a whole different ball game). So do your best, study your ass of and try again

busupshot83 said:
There is a carribbean dental school in Trinidad, http://sta.uwi.edu/fms/prog_dds.php, but it's obviously not accredited by the ADEA.

Right you are. I meant more along the lines of how carribbean medical schools are able to have students matched in the US. Any dental school in the carribbean isn't accredited, so students have to complete some portion of US dental school to match, I believe.

AMMD said:
A foreign trained dentist has to go through 2-3 years (mostly 3 since this year including California) of American Dental school in order to be licensed anyways. So if you dont get in this year, its better to reapply twice or thrice again before you start wasting any years. Dental school is not that hard to get into (staying there is a whole different ball game). So do your best, study your ass of and try again

Correct... reapplying once or twice will never be as hard as what international dentists have to go through. Head over to the International Dental Forums and you will hear their side of the story.

toothcaries said:
you could always go to an international dental school..
...and then come back to the US and work as a dental assistant.
there is quite a demand for expanded duty DA's these days..

:)

THat's ok. :D

I have been hearing alot of buzz lately about accreditation for a school in New Zealand, Mexico City, and possibly Great Britain. I wish i could tell you where I read it. ADAnews? ASDAnews? I'm fairly certain that I'm not dreaming this up. Anyhow...

If a Mexico City dental school accreditation was for real, I could envision a few dental students trying to sneak in from south of the border.

You could try a Canadian dental school but they're tougher to get into than US schools.

:idea:

Accreditation to any schools outside US or Canada is highly improbable. I have helped a few foreign grads with getting admissions to US advanced standing programs (help them study for NERBS and for fixed, removable and operative clinical exams they have to take in order to obtain admission). I can say with some degree of certainty that the training that we recieve here in dental school is probably unmatched anywhere else in the world. First of all our basic science education is very allopathic medical heavy. Second, in clinicals our undergrad education is extremely advanced as well. I think the scandanavian students are the only ones who get an education almost at our par, otherwise most have to go to PG programs in order to attain our level of undergrad dental education.
Of course you have to consider that the dental needs of the US are probably very much different than the rest of the world. NOnetheless, i dont see non US/Canadian schools getting accredited

AMMD said:
Accreditation to any schools outside US or Canada is highly improbable. I have helped a few foreign grads with getting admissions to US advanced standing programs (help them study for NERBS and for fixed, removable and operative clinical exams they have to take in order to obtain admission). I can say with some degree of certainty that the training that we recieve here in dental school is probably unmatched anywhere else in the world. First of all our basic science education is very allopathic medical heavy. Second, in clinicals our undergrad education is extremely advanced as well. I think the scandanavian students are the only ones who get an education almost at our par, otherwise most have to go to PG programs in order to attain our level of undergrad dental education.
Of course you have to consider that the dental needs of the US are probably very much different than the rest of the world. NOnetheless, i dont see non US/Canadian schools getting accredited

I totally agree. However, the push toward some level of international acceptance of accreditation is definitely under discussion. Here's a link to an article from last year talking about the consideration of international accreditation. I can't find the article I had previously mentioned that specifically mentioned Mexico City and several other international schools, but the article was along these lines.

Personally, I dont see it happening. Atleast not this century.

ehop24 said:
I have been hearing alot of buzz lately about accreditation for a school in New Zealand, Mexico City, and possibly Great Britain. I wish i could tell you where I read it. ADAnews? ASDAnews? I'm fairly certain that I'm not dreaming this up. Anyhow...

If a Mexico City dental school accreditation was for real, I could envision a few dental students trying to sneak in from south of the border.

The ADA has created a committee to look into accreditation of some international programs, and this news has been on ADA website and in the CODA newsletter.