CAS application MSPE letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OPPforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this question has been raised earlier but I was wondering if you guys knew what the protocol for submitting CAS applications without an MSPE letter is?
I was planning on submitting my CAS application some time around the latter third of August, however, my MSPE won't be released by my Dean's office until Oct 1st? Will my CAS application without an MSPE be considered as incomplete? If so, is there even a point in submitting CAS earlier since according to their instructions they will not process an incomplete application and hence will hold it prior to distribution? It mentions that you may add a note regarding any missing parts of your application and some how that allows for you application to be processed, should I just do that?
Just wondering how you guys have handled or handling this situation this year. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MSPE I assume mean's dean's letter. It is not required for your ophtho app and you should not delay the submission of your CAS app. Dean's letters are usually not available for your interviews and aren't looked at in great detail.

Not necessarily, all programs will have a copy of the deans letter when you arrive to interview (may not have it when you are invited for interview however)with them, and it was brought up on many of my interviews. the dean's letter is automatically uploaded to all of the programs you applied to by SF match when it is released on october 1st. All programs are aware that the deans letter is not released until october. Your application to a program is considered complete as long as you submit everything else besides the MSPE letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily, all programs will have a copy of the deans letter when you arrive to interview (may not have it when you are invited for interview however)with them, and it was brought up on many of my interviews. the dean's letter is automatically uploaded to all of the programs you applied to by SF match when it is released on october 1st. All programs are aware that the deans letter is not released until october. Your application to a program is considered complete as long as you submit everything else besides the MSPE letter.

Disagree. A third of my interviews happened before the Dean's letter was even finished and nearly all my interviews were granted before it was uploaded. More programs will have it now that the date is Oct 1 instead of Nov 1. Bottom line, 15 interviews at top programs, not a single program ever mentioned the dean's letter even in passing. In ophtho terms it ranks near the bottom as a priority.