CAS Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centrion904

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on the CAS application for Ophthalmology. They ask the applicant to list previous employers, address, and dates employed. Do you know if that is just ophthalmology related jobs or any jobs in the past?

For sections like public service and activities, outside interests and hobbies, and specialty electives, do they want small blurbs for each one or just a list of what we did or what awards we won?

Does anyone have experience with what they are looking for? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently working on the CAS application for Ophthalmology. They ask the applicant to list previous employers, address, and dates employed. Do you know if that is just ophthalmology related jobs or any jobs in the past?

For sections like public service and activities, outside interests and hobbies, and specialty electives, do they want small blurbs for each one or just a list of what we did or what awards we won?

Does anyone have experience with what they are looking for? Thanks for the help!

I can just tell you what I did, and it worked out fine. Other may have differing opinions.

I put more than just Ophthalmology related jobs on the form. I had a few people in interviews ask about them and show interest. That said, don't go crazy listing every tiny job you've had, but put jobs that you spent a lot of time at or meant a lot to you on there.

I included small blurbs about the stuff I did. I made them very small blurbs, though (some 1 sentence, some several sentences). PDs and people on the committee are sifting through a billion applications and don't want to read a novel about everything you did. But, for me, I had several activities I wanted to briefly explain. Same thing with hobbies, I would explain some hobbies and how involved I was in them. I've seen other people just make a list, though, and did fine. Kind of your preference.

Those may be things you could ask your PD at your home institution, depending on how comfortable you are with said person. That's what I did.

I can just tell you what I did, and it worked out fine. Other may have differing opinions.

I put more than just Ophthalmology related jobs on the form. I had a few people in interviews ask about them and show interest. That said, don't go crazy listing every tiny job you've had, but put jobs that you spent a lot of time at or meant a lot to you on there.

I included small blurbs about the stuff I did. I made them very small blurbs, though (some 1 sentence, some several sentences). PDs and people on the committee are sifting through a billion applications and don't want to read a novel about everything you did. But, for me, I had several activities I wanted to briefly explain. Same thing with hobbies, I would explain some hobbies and how involved I was in them. I've seen other people just make a list, though, and did fine. Kind of your preference.

Those may be things you could ask your PD at your home institution, depending on how comfortable you are with said person. That's what I did.
Great, thanks for your advice. I called the CAS office and they said that the application is meant to be flexible to allow for people to put in what they think is important. What the person told me was consistent with what you advised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question. I am writing about my community service stuff and want to put bulletpoints. Do these bullets have to be complete sentences? Such as:

Worked at collecting used glasses for poor people. (IS this ok?)
I worked at collecting used glasses for poor people. (Or does it have to be a complete sentence like this?)

Picky, I know. But with this process, I do not want to leave any stone unturned.

Thanks.

I would make sure someone looked over how you word each segment of your application. I would say, "Collected used glasses for underserved," or something of the sort. "Worked at collecting" is redundant. I don't think it needs to be "I collected.."

I would make sure someone looked over how you word each segment of your application. I would say, "Collected used glasses for underserved," or something of the sort. "Worked at collecting" is redundant. I don't think it needs to be "I collected.."

Agreed. I don't think using the phrase "poor people" will go over well. "Underserved", "At-risk", "Needy", "low socioeconomic status", etc would be much received much better I'd think.

Is there a place to enter your personal statement in the CAS application? I see tabs for 'others" and "honors and awards" and "autobiographical sketch" but I haven't seen a place to enter your personal statement. Do we only submit a personal statement to ERAS? Any help would be much appreciated.

the autobiographical sketch section is synonymous with personal statement.

Thanks taco bell for clarifying.

Another question, regarding the "specialty elective(s) and related activities" section: Is it appropriate to list future ophthalmology electives scheduled to take place in the next couple months (and note the future date)? Or is it best to simply list what you've already completed?

Please help because I am so confused..

What are the differences between personal statement and the required autobiographical sketch? Should I start autobiographical sketch from scratch or could I use the personal statement I have?

Thank you so much

@eyeontheprize: yes you can list future activities as long as you will definitely be doing them... Anything on your app is fair game during interviews.

@ssk143: autobiographical sketch = personal statement

@eyeontheprize: yes you can list future activities as long as you will definitely be doing them... Anything on your app is fair game during interviews.

@ssk143: autobiographical sketch = personal statement

Yes I would even be more specific and list surgeries and attendings you've precepted with, or scrubbed in surgeries with etc

Thank you guys for your help. Interesting suggestion about noting attendings, surgeries, etc. Never thought about that. I may consider it but, I don't want it to come off as too much fluff. I am already scheduled to complete 4-5 Ophtho rotations total that I plan on noting in the application.

Stupid Question: under "Personal Data" it asks:
"I will be able to start training for this residency in: ______"

We put July 2014, right? Since we won't actually be starting our training in ophtho until then?

Stupid Question: under "Personal Data" it asks:
"I will be able to start training for this residency in: ______"

We put July 2014, right? Since we won't actually be starting our training in ophtho until then?

Yep, that's right.

Yep, that's right.

Welp. dang. I called them to see if they could fix mine since I mistakenly put 2013 thinking that they meant when will I able to start residency in general. They can't since it's already gone out! I mean I've applied to the 2012-2013 cycle so I assume this won't be too big of a mistake, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong here and should be freaking out more.

Welp. dang. I called them to see if they could fix mine since I mistakenly put 2013 thinking that they meant when will I able to start residency in general. They can't since it's already gone out! I mean I've applied to the 2012-2013 cycle so I assume this won't be too big of a mistake, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong here and should be freaking out more.

I made the same mistake! Not sure if I should do anything about it..

I made the same mistake! Not sure if I should do anything about it..

When I called them they said it was a common mistake and at the most it may be brought up at intervews as a quick "You meant starting here in 2014, intern year in 2013 right?" kind of thing. At least that was the impression I was given.

You guys will have to wait another year to match because you applied one year ahead, but the good news is your apps are the first one's in for next year.

I'm kidding of course. It's not a big deal.