case or nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileforme31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both.
I have lived in chicago all my life and I really hate the cold. Which is why i want to base my decision on that. Do you think i'll be getting the same best education at both schools?

I just want to know if I should be basing my decision on weather. if i could get the same education from both schools i think i will choose nova. but i don't know.

Nova takes classes with med students while case is a PBL. what do you guys think? lets hear it!:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get to check out Case but Nova was pretty awesome.

The education you will receive is same pretty much all across the country. It may vary slightly but not much, Nova had 100% board passing rate so they must be getting their money's worth.

my two cents, i loved Nova. It's between UConn and Nova for me, and i'm having one heck of time in deciding, that is unless my last interview gets accepted!

I vote Nova, nice weather, warm, and fantastic faculty

Members don't see this ad :)
my two cents, i loved Nova. It's between UConn and Nova for me, and i'm having one heck of time in deciding, that is unless my last interview gets accepted!

I vote Nova, nice weather, warm, and fantastic faculty

Case for sure, really good influx of patients, strong clinicals and strong alumni networking.

State school and good basketball for private school and mucho denero?!?!?

I say go to Case, and I don't know anything about Case. A friend of mine goes to Nova and they don't even have enough chairs for the 3rd year students to see pts in, so they have a lotto system to see who will get a chair for the day. They've also cut summer vacation down to 2 weeks. There is a TON of bureaucratic garbage nova is always shoving down the dental students throats.

I say go to Case, and I don't know anything about Case. A friend of mine goes to Nova and they don't even have enough chairs for the 3rd year students to see pts in, so they have a lotto system to see who will get a chair for the day. They've also cut summer vacation down to 2 weeks. There is a TON of bureaucratic garbage nova is always shoving down the dental students throats.

:idea:

seriously?? !!:scared:

i've heard wildely conflicting results on the chair situation, i've heard that as long as you're ontop of it you're fine, and i've also heard that it's basically impossible to get a chair!! i wish we could clear this up

....also btizzels mentioned that there was a possibility of adding chairs? is this 100% going to happen?

because nova was my first interview i was so nervous i didn't even listen to what the tour people were saying. But are the facilities pretty brand new? I know Case has a Sim lab and the students actually said they don't even use it.

is nova pretty modern compared to case? i really don't want to stay in the cold weather. i hated cleaning off the ice off my windshield today. haha if the education is pretty much the same in all dental schools maybe i should choose a school that makes my life happy and interesting???

I would go with Nova, the weather is amazing and I have heard great things about it. Case is decent but PBL? Really, nobody ever seems to say good things about PBL, and if the school is PBL I think that would be miserable. Nova all around seems like a much better place. Brand new facilities vs old. You will learn the same things pretty much but Nova is a way nicer place to do it, new everything plus the weather and no PBL.

I chose Case over Nova

Yes cleveland is cold but I live in Toronto and it's about the same
Cold is not too bad (warm is always better though)
But I thought "how much can we really enjoy the weather while in dental school?" so I took out the weather factor in choosing schools
I've done some research and it seems like Case has a very good program (all dental programs offered are great but everyone has their own choice)
76-80 students per class with own chair for each student
excessive patient pool. Both of my tour guides told me that they are booked very fast.
PBL is only for first year and I find that it is not too bad.
Case is school with more experience compared to Nova (they opened DMD in 1997)
I also think that Case has a very good reputation in many graduate studies along with dentistry.

do research, dig this forum down you will find an answer

My husband goes to case. I don't know how much nova costs, but I would go to the cheaper school. Seriously. Even if you get an "allegedly" good education, you'll have to spend thousands on CE to learn what they didn't teach you in d-school, my husband is a 4th year and has already taken quite a few CEs. Everyone ends up getting the same degree, so you might as well pay less. Every school will have pros and cons. Lots of people like to say case's sim lab is a pro, until you realize a. no one uses it and b. half of the time the grading is wrong anyway and a preceptor has to fix it.

Also, the weather is terrible. I don't care what anyone says, but when it is gray for 5 months out of the year and 25 degree and snowing for 3 months straight...you'll care. Especially when there is no parking within about 3/4 of a mile of the school.

If you want more specifics like bureaucracy and what we don't like about case, PM me. Go to nova if it's cheaper.

I chose Case over Nova

Yes cleveland is cold but I live in Toronto and it's about the same
Cold is not too bad (warm is always better though)
But I thought "how much can we really enjoy the weather while in dental school?" so I took out the weather factor in choosing schools
I've done some research and it seems like Case has a very good program (all dental programs offered are great but everyone has their own choice)
76-80 students per class with own chair for each student
excessive patient pool. Both of my tour guides told me that they are booked very fast.
PBL is only for first year and I find that it is not too bad.
Case is school with more experience compared to Nova (they opened DMD in 1997)
I also think that Case has a very good reputation in many graduate studies along with dentistry.

do research, dig this forum down you will find an answer

Good call. Enjoy Case!

i totally know where u are coming from. it is really gloomy. sun goes down at 5 and its jus depressing.

yeah i understand that we will be all busy but... i thought i would like to spend my days near a beach if i ever had time instead of staying home... in the cold haha just my thought?

i totally know where u are coming from. it is really gloomy. sun goes down at 5 and its jus depressing.

You know whats also depressing.... it being 75 degrees and wearing shorts in December... absolutely terrible weather down here in Ft lauderdale.