Case Report Publication and Poster Presentations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crookedtree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently spent the last month carefully constructing a pretty interesting and rare case report, and I am having trouble finding journals that want to even review case reports. So I am thinking at this point maybe I should look to just do a poster presentation and go from there. Either way, my experience in both of these disciplines is limited so I am hoping someone could shed some light on a.) where I have a good chance of getting a case report published, and b.) where I might have similar luck with a poster. If it helps, the case is applicable to both general and orthopedic surgery, endocrinology, radiology, and internal medicine. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Case reports are pretty much only published in journals that have the word "case reports" in the title. They are generall viewed as only being poster-worthy. There are some journals popping up that are specific to publishing case reports as they have fallen so out of favor that now journals exist to revive the dying research format.

Look into the specialty journals. I.e., the journal Neurology, which is high impact in that field, takes case reports.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with the above. If all else fails (I am in the same boat as you), I may just submit it to BMJ case report journal or a field-specific case report journal. The impact factor is usually garbage for these journals, but hey - at least it's in print

Apply for the SOMA research fellowship, and if you get it, you'll be able to present at omed. That'd be a poster presentation at a fairly well known conference, and you get like $2000

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I think case reports should always have significant influence on further research; although maybe not on changing practice. I know whenever I am faced with an uncommon complicated case these case reports can be a huge help. Although there is minimal to no evidence worth to a case report it can help add insight to tough clinical questions and possibly lead to further research.

Really? Try using Pubmed and search "case report"
Also look into the particular discipline you case would be in and find according journals.

I recently spent the last month carefully constructing a pretty interesting and rare case report, and I am having trouble finding journals that want to even review case reports. So I am thinking at this point maybe I should look to just do a poster presentation and go from there. Either way, my experience in both of these disciplines is limited so I am hoping someone could shed some light on a.) where I have a good chance of getting a case report published, and b.) where I might have similar luck with a poster. If it helps, the case is applicable to both general and orthopedic surgery, endocrinology, radiology, and internal medicine. Thanks

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I think case reports should always have significant influence on further research; although maybe not on changing practice. I know whenever I am faced with an uncommon complicated case these case reports can be a huge help. Although there is minimal to no evidence worth to a case report it can help add insight to tough clinical questions and possibly lead to further research.

I would ask some PIs or academic physicians in the specialty the work most relates to. I am 100% certain surgical journals take case reports, but many do have "case report" in the title. A pub and poster is better than just a poster though, regardless of journal. Lower your aim for journal prestige and try there.