Case Reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quijotemd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some of the more experience residents, researchers, or faculty tell us interns and younger residents how to go about putting together a case report; i.e. what makes a good case report, what format to use, who to submit it to for possible publication, etc. I don't have a good idea what guidelines to use. Thank you!

Q

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your library and pick up stacks of journals (e.g., AJP, Psychosomatics, Academic Psychiatry, or whatever your special interest is). Read the case reports. You will soon get an idea of their topic area. Each journal has specific official guidelines for submissions and specific unofficial/unspoken content guidelines (if you want to write up a psychoanalytic case, don't send it to the Archives of General Psych. If you want to review hypothyroidism, don't send it to a journal that just had such a case report or article).

Sometimes case reports are cool and unusual presentations. Sometimes they are meant to reflect an unusual angle or are designed to be a platform from which you can overview a topic. That choice would depend on whether or not you have something interesting to report or whether you are just lookig for a pub (either is fine).

I would then go to someone in your psych department and ask him/her to mentor you on the project. That person should know something about publication, and if you do most of the work, most people are happy to provide some guidance and editing in return for being a second author.

Can some of the more experience residents, researchers, or faculty tell us interns and younger residents how to go about putting together a case report; i.e. what makes a good case report, what format to use, who to submit it to for possible publication, etc. I don't have a good idea what guidelines to use. Thank you!

Q

Case reports make for a nice introduction to writing for publication, since they have to be brief, and often are limited to a certain number of references by journals. The key to getting published is to pick a case that teaches something new and then making it sound important. Do a Pubmed search using keywords from your case to see if anyone has written about it before. You can usually narrow your focus suficiently so that you're presenting a new idea. Where to submit usually depends on the subject at hand (e.g. I submit a lot to Psychosomatics and General Hospital Psychiatry since I'm a consult psychiatrist). Each journal has formatting and length instructions on the "instructions for authors" page on their website.

My formula for a case report is something like:

Introduction (1-2 paragraphs): Introduce the basic topic at hand (e.g. duloxetine is a recently approved dual-action reuptake inhibitor used to treat depression, etc.), and present what you're going to tell them about (We present the case of a patient taking duloxetine who suddenly burst into flames).

Case: Present the case with all relevant data

Discussion: The "meat" of the article - duloxetine works by blah-blah, common side effects are X, Y, and Z. To our knowledge this is the first case of spontaneous combustion associated with duloxetine. (Now for the key phrase...) It is important that psychiatrists treating patients with duloxetine are aware of this potential complication since they may want to invest in an asbestos lined coat, etc.

Throw in a couple of references and submit. Hasn't failed me yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case reports make for a nice introduction to writing for publication, since they have to be brief, and often are limited to a certain number of references by journals. The key to getting published is to pick a case that teaches something new and then making it sound important. Do a Pubmed search using keywords from your case to see if anyone has written about it before. You can usually narrow your focus suficiently so that you're presenting a new idea. Where to submit usually depends on the subject at hand (e.g. I submit a lot to Psychosomatics and General Hospital Psychiatry since I'm a consult psychiatrist). Each journal has formatting and length instructions on the "instructions for authors" page on their website.

My formula for a case report is something like:

Introduction (1-2 paragraphs): Introduce the basic topic at hand (e.g. duloxetine is a recently approved dual-action reuptake inhibitor used to treat depression, etc.), and present what you're going to tell them about (We present the case of a patient taking duloxetine who suddenly burst into flames).

Case: Present the case with all relevant data

Discussion: The "meat" of the article - duloxetine works by blah-blah, common side effects are X, Y, and Z. To our knowledge this is the first case of spontaneous combustion associated with duloxetine. (Now for the key phrase...) It is important that psychiatrists treating patients with duloxetine are aware of this potential complication since they may want to invest in an asbestos lined coat, etc.

Throw in a couple of references and submit. Hasn't failed me yet.

Great post! :thumbup: We should make this a sticky....

I just want to know if the FDA is investigating, and if there will be a black box warning for spontaneous human combustion now that it's been reported by a famous hospital psychiatrist at a Major East Coast Medical Center (TM).
:scared:

Ssshhhh! If Lilly figures out who I am, they'll send their drug rep death squad after me. :eek:

I nearly hurt myself laughing when I read about the danger of duloxetine! Thanks for the suggestions and guidelines for a case report. I agree that it could be a sticky to help others.

Thanks,

Q

Ssshhhh! If Lilly figures out who I am, they'll send their drug rep death squad after me. :eek:

Would that be the southern beauty pageant queens? :scared:

Sorry for the snarkiness, been a LONG day, week, month of C/L (3 months, 4 days to go). Gotta love the people like Doc Samson who do C/L so that I don't have to do it after graduation.

MBK2003

Would that be the southern beauty pageant queens? :scared:

Sorry for the snarkiness, been a LONG day, week, month of C/L (3 months, 4 days to go). Gotta love the people like Doc Samson who do C/L so that I don't have to do it after graduation.

MBK2003

I feel exactly the same way about folks who do inpatient or outpatient. :D