• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

reverend doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've been lucky enough to be accteped at both of these and am having a hard time with the choice. I really loved Case's curriculum and how excited the students were. Brown felt less diverse and the students less energetic at the interview, but it's still got a lot going for it.

Opinions?

PoeticMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've been lucky enough to be accteped at both of these and am having a hard time with the choice. I really loved Case's curriculum and how excited the students were. Brown felt less diverse and the students less energetic at the interview, but it's still got a lot going for it.

Opinions?
That's a hard choice. I'm in a similar position where I have to choose between Case and UChicago. Personally, I would go with Case because the school has been a leader in curricullum innovation since the 1950s; is affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic; is very student focussed; Cleveland is a very affordable and livable city. Brown on the other hand is Ivy (for what its worth); is on smack in the middle of the East coast

Finian

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
What a wonderful dilemma for you to have! Both schools are excellent and offer a fantastic medical education, but Brown's geography trumps Case's. Providence is a neat little city with easy access to the ocean, Boston, the mountains, and even NYC. The small class ensures bonding opportunities for students and mentors, if that matters to you, and allows clinical rotations in diverse, international areas during third and fourth years.

That said, Case is a higher profile school with very happy students and endless opportunities for research/clinical experiences. If it is closer to family/friends, then that may tip it for you, too.

You need to go to both second look weekends to make an informed decision. But hey, many congratulations to you!

About the Ads

Wanna_B_Scutty

MS1
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I agree with Finian about Case's geography vs. Case's profile.

However, since so many of Brown's med students are in that 8-year program, I can also see potential for some social weirdness of coming in half-way through. If I were you, I'd talk to some other Brown med students who went to non-Brown undergrad school.

KardiacKiehl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2005
Status (Visible)
First off, I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. One thing to keep in mind is that Case has a lot of merit money/scholarships compared to most schools, so that may come into play. I definitely would prefer Providence over Cleveland (poor, run-down city in my opinion), but then Case is (at least at the current time) held in better regard I think. I do think that Brown is on the way up, though. It looks like they're putting more resources into research and research money that's a quick way to get noticed. It's a great problem to have. I second that second looks at both schools are a must. Good luck!

foofish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
First off, I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. One thing to keep in mind is that Case has a lot of merit money/scholarships compared to most schools, so that may come into play.

Ah, but Brown Med just got a $100 million donation, some of which is earmarked for scholarships....

reverend doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm glad everyone else sees this as a difficult choice, too! I'm enjoying hearing what you all have to say. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

I agree with the geography and charm of Providence over Cleveland, though Cleveland also has a cheaper cost of living...

Stroganoff

15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Did Brown open up admission to non-Brown peeps recently? Where have I been...

I dunno. I'm a prestige *****, so between the two I'd choose Case for the 4 years, then get the hell outta town for residency. Never been to Providence, but it's close to other cities as has been said. But would you as a med student have time for any of that? I don't doubt that Providence is probably a lot prettier city though.

Case
+ Slightly higher reputation
+ I'm guessing more NIH funding and more research going on
- Cleveland sucks in general. If you're willing to commute every day, the suburbs can be beautiful though, so don't get me wrong.

Brown
+ Ivy League gets auto-reputation
+ Providence
- Less research?
- Most med students are from Brown undergrad.

But you know more about both since you've been to both.

KardiacKiehl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2005
Status (Visible)
Ah, but Brown Med just got a $100 million donation, some of which is earmarked for scholarships....

However, this scholarship money will certainly be only need-based (don't know if that makes a difference for you). Ivy's at all levels (the last time I checked) offer only need-based scholarships as opposed to merit scholarships. I think Case has ample supplies of both.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Brown. Help a fellow SDNer get off of Hold at Case. :thumbup:

Opinions?

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
This is probably the toughest decision I've seen in any of these type of threads.

Just go where you think you would be happy.

Case has a bit more prestige, but it is in a terrible location. Brown has less prestige but a much better location. Can't go wrong with either though.

KardiacKiehl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2005
Status (Visible)
Completely unrelated to Case vs. Brown, but ... damn, Towelie, you've done quite well for yourself!!! Where are you leaning towards going thus far? Talk about difficult choices.

goongirl

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
Best of luck w/ your decision. One note about living in cleveland... Yes, Cleveland has some poor areas, but no, you won't be living there. Most students live a 10min. walk away in Cleveland Heights which is one of the nicest residential neighborhoods I've seen so close to a city in a northern city (and one of the wealthiest in cleveland). There's also a ton of other very pretty neighborhoods (check out fairmount, shaker heights...) that are a 10-20min. drive away. Long story short, if you want to work in the community in cleveland, there's plenty of areas to do so. If you want to live in a really nice area and at most, drive through poorer neighborhoods only when you want to get on the highway, you can do that too. I don't consider a 10 min walk or even a 10min drive much of a "commute." I just get annoyed when people talk about how "cleveland's just a ghetto" or whatever. It's unfortunate that the RTA runs from the airport to case through some of the poorer neighborhoods, but please don't judge the whole city just from a day...

Stroganoff

15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Best of luck w/ your decision. One note about living in cleveland... Yes, Cleveland has some poor areas, but no, you won't be living there. Most students live a 10min. walk away in Cleveland Heights which is one of the nicest residential neighborhoods I've seen so close to a city in a northern city (and one of the wealthiest in cleveland). There's also a ton of other very pretty neighborhoods (check out fairmount, shaker heights...) that are a 10-20min. drive away. Long story short, if you want to work in the community in cleveland, there's plenty of areas to do so. If you want to live in a really nice area and at most, drive through poorer neighborhoods only when you want to get on the highway, you can do that too. I don't consider a 10 min walk or even a 10min drive much of a "commute." I just get annoyed when people talk about how "cleveland's just a ghetto" or whatever. It's unfortunate that the RTA runs from the airport to case through some of the poorer neighborhoods, but please don't judge the whole city just from a day...
good points, esp about cleveland hgts and shaker.

but what about judging cleveland from 5+ years? it is a ghetto, and living in it can burn someone out unless they live somewhere in the super-close east suburbs or the totally awesome west suburbs.

jmho.

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
From what I remember from a discussion last year Brown despite being an Ivy has one of the nations lowest passing rates on the Step 1 I believe. I think someone from Brown actually posted a link from somewhere on their website last year that their pass rate was like 88% or 83%, something like that. Maybe the numbers were from a few years ago, i'm not sure. I dont have time to find the link but i'm sure someone that is more motivated to do so could probably find it. Again i'm not saying this is absolutely true, so dont crucify me but i remember it coming up last year and being surprised by the numbers that I saw. Its something that you might want to research/keep in mind or find out what the numbers are the last few years.

veggie7

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As a Brown med student who is not a PLME (8 yr student) -- it doesn't matter that most of the class is. nobody cares, and many of them don't know each other until med school anyway. i wouldn't let that factor into your decision at all. admittedly a few PLMEs are socially awkward maybe b/c they've wanted to be doctors since they were able to read, but every med school has those folks...
As far as research $$ - Lifespan (who owns the hospitals) and Brown U are separate entities, so if you look at US News/NIH funding stuff, it seems like Brown has less research money than it actually does. I know they are trying to merge the two, and I have no idea how much money Case has...but just an FYI.
As far as Step 1 scores ... it varies from year to year, and it is something I'd think about a little if I were you. My class scored above the national average, as did the class below me. The class above me - i think 10 people failed (the number changes, and i'm only going on rumors). Brown is working really hard to revamp their 1st and 2nd yr curriculum, and it sounds like they're doing a pretty good job and that it's going to get better. If I were you, I'd talk to 1st yr med students and see what they have to say about this year's curriculum. I know there were some issues w/ last yr's 1st year class...so i'd want to know if they are having a better time in 2nd year.
I hope that helps - you can PM me if you have more questions.

reverend doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks veggie and all.

I actually liked Cleveland during the interview more than I thought I would, given people's comments here. I've lived in some poor places before (New Haven, Roxbury, Oakland), so that doesn't bother me all too much. I don't qualify for Case's merit money, and I imagine the financial aid situation will be similar at both schools...

Leaning toward Case at the moment, but we'll see. I interview at Vermont this week, which may add another variable. I really like Burlington! I don't know how UVm compares with these two.

sheepunite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
mmm, case.
the amount of effort and thought they've put into revising and articulating their new curriculum is breathtaking.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.