Case Vs. MSUCHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case
Pros
  • Loved Cleveland
  • Love curriculum
  • Classes are only 8-12
  • Partnered hospitals

Cons
  • Cost - 60k tuition
  • Short amount of time to figure out living situation and move

MSUCHM
Pros
  • Cheap - 30k tuition - possibly reduced to 20 or 25k with finiancial aid (still waiting to find out)
  • Could stay in state

Cons
  • There was a lot of differing opinions on the new curriculum by M1's on second look day
  • Primary care focused (don't think I'll be going primary care)

Summary: Case is the school I like far better but I'm in the very common struggle of deciding between a high COA for a good school vs. a low cost of attendance and whether the better school is worth the cost.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, I'd wait to see what your financial aid situation will be at MSU. You may be able to go back to Case and ask if they could possibly increase their financial aid offer to mitigate the huge offset in COA. All things considered, you will get better opportunities at Case. Also, Cleveland trumps East Lansing everyday of the week.

I wouldn't worry about figuring out living situations as many of the people on the Case page are still looking for roommates etc. check it out if you are on their accepted students page.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Case is a good school, but I don't know if it's $150k better than your state school. If it was Harvard or UCSF, then it might be, but Case isn't a household name like those schools. I would also consider proximity to your support network as that can make a big difference in your happiness too (at least it is for me).

Case is a good school, but I don't know if it's $150k better than your state school. If it was Harvard or UCSF, then it might be, but Case isn't a household name like those schools. I would also consider proximity to your support network as that can make a big difference in your happiness too (at least it is for me).
I don't think household name matters regarding residency , rather PD perception matters. UCSF is not a nationwide household name either.

I don't think household name matters regarding residency , rather PD perception matters. UCSF is not a nationwide household name either.
Right but if you look at the factors that PD's rank as most important, school prestige is close to the bottom. It is much more important to have high step 1 scores and solid clinical grades etc. and for me, that would be easier to accomplish if I didn't have to worry as much about tuition and had my family and friends close by.

Right but if you look at the factors that PD's rank as most important, school prestige is close to the bottom. It is much more important to have high step 1 scores and solid clinical grades etc. and for me, that would be easier to accomplish if I didn't have to worry as much about tuition and had my family and friends close by.
Excellent point. I wouldn't be able to do my best with muchm's corriculum . Plus they make you act as an MA for 8 hours each week for year one and two , further taking away time from step studying.

Excellent point. I wouldn't be able to do my best with muchm's corriculum . Plus they make you act as an MA for 8 hours each week for year one and two , further taking away time from step studying.
Well I guess it does depend on the person, but many med students have told me that pre-clinical curriculum really doesn't matter that much as most of the time you are self-studying anyway.

Would you rather be a Spartan or a Spartan? JK

Case for sure.

Sounds awful

It's worth a Hail Mary to check with Case if they have any financial assistance available. Let them know their school is your top choice but you're concerned about managing the difference in COA. Provide the COA of your other option.

I did that with two schools this cycle -- one told me there was no aid available and the other matched my existing scholarship and then some. Guess which one I'm going to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile