Case Vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you choose? Program-wise

I'm not concerned with the living conditions. Just want a compare/contrast on student body makeup and Curriculum. Any info on the schools not already posted on their website would be nice too.

how do these schools stack up to USC?

Members don't see this ad.

Case for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
lol,

I thought this might happen. I guess they're both good and the same. :thumbup:

go to both schools, make your own decision <-don't go by what others say

from a current CASE student perspective, i find CASE a great school. the academic program is awesome, we get a feel for a little bit of everything in the first semester, such as the didatic stuff as well as a little bit of hands on experience. We learned how to do class 1,2, and 3 preps in the new state of the art dent sim clinics. We took an entire course on outreach dentistry in the fall, and now is doing community service in the local elementary schools applying sealants on 2nd and 6th grader's 1st and 2nd molars, as well as detecting caries. the best thing about the program i feel however, is they are introducing us to the worst kind of patients, or should i say the most difficult ones, lil kids that are scarred, anxious, and moves around like crazy. if you can survive them your first semester. you can surive any patient. class wise, i dont feel that the class is that tough where it is not doable. keep in mind though, i am not on a really full blown pbl style program. and your entering class of 2010 will be.

wait a minute case is going pbl for our entering class---they never said anything like that in the interview--their lecture halls are pretty solid i figured it was nice lecture based school

screwclassparty said:
wait a minute case is going pbl for our entering class---they never said anything like that in the interview--their lecture halls are pretty solid i figured it was nice lecture based school

If that is true that kind of sucks because I'm not too big a fan of 100% pbl! I guess we'll see.

where did you hear that Case was going full PBL?! I hope that's not going to be the trend at more schools.

If that's true, Temple all the way!

JMoney said:

Problem based learning. Basically take away formal lecture and add case studies where it is up to you to teach yourself.

that sucks..................right???

whoa! so Case is now entirely pbl? I thought they had lectures and some pbl...a mixture of both? Also, to Mr. Teethpulla, how much are living expenses in Cleveland (i.e. apt, food, transportation, etc.)? Do you have to find your own housing or does Case help you with that? And what about roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lostinbul said:
Problem based learning. Basically take away formal lecture and add case studies where it is up to you to teach yourself.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I don't know too much about PBL, but what I gather is they provide you the blanks and its your job to fill them. As oppose to a traditional curriculum where all you need to know is presented for you.

I think PBL can help some students retain information better. Seems like its indirect learning. Where you are subconciously learning the basics while trying to solve a problem. When you make it your own incentive to find the information and answer your own questions, I think it'll stay in your mind better.

PBL I also understand is heavily group oriented. Where work is split-up. This worries me alittle. I've done alot of marketing projects and organizational behavior groups. While its fun to work with others, alot of time is wasted by clashing personalities and differing work ethics. I usually end up being the mediator and have to do all the work by myself or else nothing gets done. If there's one constant in business, "credit is never given where it is due."

Anybody know more about PBL? I'm very curious to know.

DUBS said:
whoa! so Case is now entirely pbl? I thought they had lectures and some pbl...a mixture of both? Also, to Mr. Teethpulla, how much are living expenses in Cleveland (i.e. apt, food, transportation, etc.)? Do you have to find your own housing or does Case help you with that? And what about roommates?

When I interviewed at Case I was told they are going to add SOME pbl. They will still have lectures as their main base of learning.

Dutchboy said:
When I interviewed at Case I was told they are going to add SOME pbl. They will still have lectures as their main base of learning.

the professor who interviewed me at Case (really cool guy by the way) said PBL is the way of the future. And Case will be leaning more and more towards the PBL model. This wasn't a young professor, but one of their older faculty members. He seemed to believe PBL works.

briansle said:
the professor who interviewed me at Case (really cool guy by the way) said PBL is the way of the future. And Case will be leaning more and more towards the PBL model. This wasn't a young professor, but one of their older faculty members. He seemed to believe PBL works.
Ya, the guy that told me they were only going to add some pbl was this really boring research guy. He was just telling me about next year, but your probably right, if they like it they'll add more of it.

When I was interviewed, the faculty interviewer (Dr. Tim) says that it will be fully PBL next year...I think it will help with learning more, but from what others say, I am worried about whether all the information needed for the boards, etc. will be fully obtained. :(

puncho said:
When I was interviewed, the faculty interviewer (Dr. Tim) says that it will be fully PBL next year...I think it will help with learning more, but from what others say, I am worried about whether all the information needed for the boards, etc. will be fully obtained. :(

Tim is the man. We had him for Bio Chem and Nuero Bio. I'm a first year and I haven't heard too much about it moving to PBL; however, I know that for anatomy we have been using TBL (team based learning). We usually do one to two TBL sessions per exam. The way it works is that you are responsible for learning everything that you have covered to that point for the exam and then you get together as a class and do a couple things.

1) you take an individual ten question quiz on the subject material. You are given 30 minutes.

2) you get together with your group and take the same quiz again and come to a group consensus on what the correct answers are.

3) you do two case studies involving the subject material with questions to answer.

All the above are graded and at then end of the semester the class decides how to weight the above items. Our class weighted the group quiz the highest so everyone did pretty well for the TBLs.

So I'm not sure if they are just going to implement this type of learning into all of their classes or what.

But it's not that big of a deal because every session only takes one class period. So you have already learned the material and then you are just forced to learn it well enough to interpret case studies and perform well on the quizzes.

They did tell us that we were being experimented upon.

Yeah, Dr. Tim is definitely awesome. I had a lot in common with him so the interview portions with him went really well. :)

He talked a lot about the new curriculum. He did say that it was team-based PBL but that if we had questions about the material, he couldn't really answer them (he'd guide you in the right direction) unless you came to him during his office hours.

He also showed me the timetable for next year and it showed to be mostly PBL, I think...

Part 1 board is about to change its format this coming July. More case-based questions will be added. PBL is the way of the future and Case is on top of that. :) :) By the way, Case students do not have to deal with the problems below: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
3. Be a lab tech do almost 90% of all the lab work, which is alot of time
4. Be a secretary schedule all your appointments. At Temple the school is a ladder system. So you start in one clinic and move to another in the proper sequence. You have to schedule chairs on the computer. Lets say you want to do Perio. There are 25 chairs and there are 250 students do the math sometimes it is difficult to get chairs.
5. Be a bill collector you are totally responsible for every procedure you do if there check bounces its on you. If you some reason they didnt renew there insurance policy and it comes back denied. Its on you. Im mailing out unpaid bills already if they dont get paid I pay for them. Or I dont get credit for the procedure

HuyetKiem said:
3. Be a lab tech do almost 90% of all the lab work, which is alot of time
4. Be a secretary schedule all your appointments. At Temple the school is a ladder system. So you start in one clinic and move to another in the proper sequence. You have to schedule chairs on the computer. Lets say you want to do Perio. There are 25 chairs and there are 250 students do the math sometimes it is difficult to get chairs.
5. Be a bill collector you are totally responsible for every procedure you do if there check bounces its on you. If you some reason they didnt renew there insurance policy and it comes back denied. Its on you. Im mailing out unpaid bills already if they dont get paid I pay for them. Or I dont get credit for the procedure

3. Become very good with your hands
4. Learn how to operate a dental practice, helps you with time management and responsibility
5. Just like the real world...imagine that

Thats the way i see it.

Thats the way I see it.

I would go to Case Western Reserve for sure

Go to Temple if you don't like PBL. Case if you'd be ok with it.

It's not gonig to be 100% PBL. It's going to be more like what Vasco posted. We'll stilll have a normal lecture and then a PBL type thing like vasco described. Goto the site and read the curriculum innovation stuff. IT's pretty cool actually. Most top schools do integrate PBL into their system and CASE is donig it too. SO, we shouldn't be negative about it. It takes a lot planning to do this and it actually makes it harder for the faculty. So since they're doing it, they must really think it works. CASE is big on research, so i'm sure they've researched this alot more than we can even know about PBL all our four years there. So be happy, they're making the curriculum better for us, not for themselves.

Before I would start praising PBL, I would do a search for some threads on this subject. You'll see that people that goto PBL schools (such as USC) hate the system SIGNIFICANTLY....like they feel very bitter for their choice and wished they went somewhere else

Also, I would try and find out from reliable sources (and SDN is far from reliable) about the changes to the board formats....there was a rumour in our class that the boards were being changed for our year, and everyone in our class started to panick....however, our dean sent us a confirmation from the National boards themselves that they were NOT being changed for our year and put an end to that rumour

I dunno that much about PBL but all the top schools have some sort of PBL integrated into their system, like harvard, uconn. I am familiar with uconn's PBL (cuz i interviewed there) and i think CASE's PBL is going to be very similar to that. On their site, it clearly says that PBL will be integrated into the traditional lectures.