Case vs UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright after squeezing as much opinion as i can out of pre-dents i want to pass this question around to you dent students.

i'm from california, and thus UNLV is much closer, and my family is urging me to go to UNLV over Case.

Personally, I think Case is a better school because it has history and experience. I think curriculum wise, Case is said to be one of the less intense in the nation, which I think is a plus. UNLV is said to have 4-5 students who fail out every semester.

UNLV is such a new school, and I'm still afraid that the school still has some kinks that are needed to be addressed. i'm also concerned that since the school is so new, not everything is set in place, things are still not perfectly organized, and it just doesn't offer the same security that a school with 100+ years of experience provide.

Location wise, of course, I prefer Las Vegas over Cleveland. Besides, I can always go to Los Angeles over the weekend if I wanted to to see my family.

Cleveland has lower cost of living so living expense would be cheaper for me in Cleveland....not to mention the tuition would be lower for me to go to Case...

So I dont know...Help me out here.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Case. It is a WAY better school. UNLV isn't completely done still. No anatomy lab (they have to use the DO school's), no research, and its a commuter school. Case is in Cleveland which isn't good but the school almost makes up for it. Plus, the sim lab is cool. Just my opinion

I want to first say go to Case, it sounds like you found something there that you like.
I do want to clear some things up though. Your tuition thing is way way way off, so get this through your freakin thick skull. UNLV is way cheaper.
here is the math since you can't add it up yourself.
UNLV yr 1 53000
yr 2 30000
yr 3 30000
yr 4 20000
= 133,000
at unlv tuition means =all fees, books, and tuition total.

Case Western Reserve
yr 1 43000
yr 2 43000
yr 3 43000
yr 4 43000
= 172,000 + nearly 35 for books and fees
Total over 200K ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next, we do not do a cadaver dissection here, this summer we can take an elective course over at the DO school in Henderson and dissect, I am not. This really is a great school, I love it here, and yes I was accepted into both schools. I know other students currently at Case, and I do think that we have a tougher course load, but oh well.
I especially came here because I was able to get instate tuition immediately so the choice was even easier for me. I really believe that everyone in my class feel like they made the right decision by comming here.
We are cutting edge on everything, curriculum is changing at dental schools, the boards are going to be written in a different format, we are being taught in that format supposably, that is because the belief at this school is to be the first to change and let all of the other schools follow, as you will see when Case goes to laptop curriculum, and ppt presentations online, integrated bioscience courses, paperless clinic, digital radiographs, etc etc.