Case waitlist interview - does it really worth it bothering?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

CaliDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
so i am invited for a waitlist interview at Case
i actually got my interview invitation when there were still regular interview spots left. when i asked them why they are giving me a waitlist interview, they said that the process is on rolling basis and whoever applies first gets the regular interview
so, here is my question for those of you have already had your interview at cas: do you really think that i should go? i dont have any + responds from anywhere yet...
how did you like the school? what abou the diversity at the school? is it like all white people there or do they accept nonwhites as well?

dizzle23x

10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
i actually got my interview invitation when there were still regular interview spots left. when i asked them why they are giving me a waitlist interview, they said that the process is on rolling basis and whoever applies first gets the regular interview
so, here is my question for those of you have already had your interview at cas: do you really think that i should go? i dont have any + responds from anywhere yet...
how did you like the school? what abou the diversity at the school? is it like all white people there or do they accept nonwhites as well?

first of all, did you REALLY just ask that?? yes. they live in their own little universe where they can violate everything the equal opportunity act stands for and not get the f sued out of them. second of all, it's late in the game for interviewing at case but if no other schools have responded to you yet i would definitely still go even if it's just for the experience alone since you may have to reapply EARLIER next year..

puncho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status (Visible)
It's diverse...maybe not as much as in cali or undergrad but it's a good mix.

I know of a few people that were accepted off the alternate list.

About the Ads
B

Blitzdt

I'm asian and they accepted me just fine! Case is a good and solid school. It was "extremely" hard to turn it down (1 more spot opens up); I really thought I was going to go to Case. I think you're missing out if you don't go to the interview.

bumbum

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
I got accepted to Case back on Dec. 1st. My interview was great, I really enjoyed the people there, and I'm asian. I turned down NYU so far and if I get into USC, I will probably turn it down as well to go to Case. Right now, I'm set on going to Case and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Their facilities for 1st/2nd years are great and everyone seemed helpful. Plus, it's a small class which allows you to be more than just a number and their curriculum is integrated between PBL and lecture. Hope that helps.

HeMan

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Cleveland (not the poorest city anymore)
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I had a late app last cycle, and I was offered an alternate interview at Case. I went and loved the school. Unfortunately I didn't get called up off the alternate list. This year when I interviewed at Case, I knew it was where I wanted to go, and I was accepted.
I would suggest going for several reasons. First, you might make it in. Second, you might be offered an early acceptance next year without interviewing. Third, it may help your chances for next year things don't pan out with your other schools. If nothing else, after going to Case you will have a benchmark from which to compare your other schools, and some great practice from the interview.
Some of the things I like about Case:
The school has quite a bit of history, but they are not afraid to try new things (like the hybrid problem based learning/lecture curriculum).
I liked the clinic and students get their own chair and work station once they are in the clinic.
SimDent is pretty rad.
They seem to have a good patient base.
They at least have the illusion of responding to student feedback.
you can take the Western Regional Boards on campus.
low cost of living.

Some cons:
Higher tuition
PBL could be bad if you get distracted easily
not to mention...wow, a popup ad for HVAC Training

utahdentist2be

Home Skillet
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Near the mesial cervical bulge
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have it on good authority (member of student council) that they have already received approximately 85 $1000 deposits from accepted applicants who are planning on attending. They always send out way more acceptances than they have room for, but this year it may come back to bite them (since they're class size is supposed to be 70). However, as previously stated, they may accept a few waitlisters next year without requiring a second interview, so it may be worth going to the interview.

Chuck1441

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I went to a 'waitlist' interview last year. And your question about if it was worth it?

Yes.

They have a great program, IMHO, and they accepted me in August for the class of '11. I got into my #1 school so I turned them down, but I would have been more than happy to be going there in the fall. Plus the interviews this time around were easier, kinda like having an ace in the hole.

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hi Chuck,

That's very interesting that you got an acceptance last Aug for the class of 2011. I was under the impression that schools don't send out acceptances until Dec 1. Was this an official acceptance, or was it by 'word of mouth' (i.e. you called the admissions office and they told you)? How early/late did you apply last cycle? Thanks!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.