1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Case western alternate interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TalulaJem, Apr 13, 2004.

1. TalulaJem

TalulaJem Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Did anyone else get a big, fat letter from Case Western only to find that it was simply an invite to interview for THE ALTERNATE LIST? I certainly did, and it left me a bit cold. The interview is not until late April, and, frankly, I'm not sure I'm going to go. I've already interviewed and have heard back from most of the other schools. Anyone else in this position?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hello TalulaJem, I am sorry to hear about your situation, it has been for a while now that Case has been sending out letters for interviews for the alternate lists (I think it started in February). I am not sure how big is the alternate list now but you can contact them to find out your chances in gaining acceptance from the list.

Which other schools have you applied to and what are the status of each of them?

I hope you will get in this year!

4. my1molar

my1molar Member
    5+ Year Member

I"m going to have one at TEmple for that BIG FAT WAITLISTERS...But anyways, if you are confident with your stats and done with asking about how many people might get accepted, why not give it a try!!!

5. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hey, I got a Case alternate interview back in NOVEMBER!!!!!!!! :eek:

Anyways, I didnt go, but Case is notorious for trying to fill their class right away....but if they are still sending out invites, Im sure there is still space left in the class. Case is usually not first on many people's list, so Im sure that you still have a good chance!!!

Hey my1molar, About Temple, even if you get waitlisted and have no luck this year, you dont need to reapply to Temple next year, and they will carry your application for the next cycle. PM Dentaldream, because I believe he was in the same position last year.

6. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

I was waitlisted about 4 weeks after I submitted AADSAS (End of Dec...) so I cancelled my interview about two months ago since I interviewed and heard back from a few other schools by then.

7. dsgirl2004

dsgirl2004 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I recieved an anlternate interview back in December as well for the end of April. I ended up canceling the interview as well, but it suprised me that they were already sending out alternate interviews so early.

8. The Musketeer

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think the reason is that Case starts their interview process very early (around mid-July or something) and there is a fair amount of backlog for students to get interview there. I had received my interview notification at Case in around early September and the earliest interview dates that they have available for me were all the way in early December (I think they interview 3 days/wk).

Don't worry, although you might not be successful at Case, I am sure most of you will get or have gotten into other dental schools!

Good Luck! :thumbup:

9. TalulaJem

TalulaJem Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey Muskateer,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. Actually, I received this alternate letter from Case months ago. I just thought I'd post now because the interview is coming and I'm not sure I still want to go.
    To answer your question, I've heard from OSU (acc.), U ofPitt (acc), Maryland (acc.), and Boston U (acc.). As for Temple, I interviewed there in February and have yet to hear ANYTHING from them- not even a rejection or notification of being wait-listed. Harrumph! Getting a little impatient on that one.

10. TalulaJem

TalulaJem Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, I found that a bit insulting- to be put on the wait-list without having even been interviewed.

11. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

What are your stats to get into those schools? if you got into OSU, as far as your stats, Case shouldn't be a problem... its just towards the end of the cycle, they tend to have applicants with 20+ on the DAT across the board.

Are you an Ohio resident?

12. TalulaJem

TalulaJem Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Mo007,
    I am, indeed, an Ohio resident. Maybe it's somewhat a blessing in disguise that Case seems luke-warm towards me because I would really like to escape from Ohio. I think my ultimate problem was that I applied a little late. I didn't take the DAT until November 20, and I only applied shortly prior to that.

13. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

TalulaJem

Check your PM.

14. The Musketeer

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I guess you really like to go to Case because the tuition is the same between resident and non-resident, as well as you acceptence to OSU. If my thinking is correct then you should go to the interview (even if it is for the alternate list). You will basically have nothing to lose since you don't really have to pay a lot for the travel and accommodation cost, as well, being on the alternate list doesn't guarantee that you will stay there forever. Seeing the schools that you have been accepted into gives me a prediction that you have competitive scores, so I won't be surprise that if you are going on the list you will be near the top!