Case Western OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballztowallzomfs

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the residency program at Case Western? They emailed us the document listing procedure numbers, etc. However, I wanted to know which years you are paid stipend and when you are not. The medical school there is expensive, so I wanted to weigh that into my rank list. Also, does anyone know the call schedule there?

Members don't see this ad.

ballztowallzomfs said:
With the exception of Maryland and maybe MedStar, OMFS programs in the NE are weak sauce (including MGH, Columbia, Cornell). If you want to get trained well, I would recommend going to programs in the south, such as LSU.

Big baller,

Per your post in an earlier thread I was under the impression from you all programs in the NE are "weak sauce." Also you seem to ask a lot of questions about the call schedule which shouldn't be an issue for you, go q1/2 strong.

Reactions: 1 user
ballztowallzomfs said:
With the exception of Maryland and maybe MedStar, OMFS programs in the NE are weak sauce (including MGH, Columbia, Cornell). If you want to get trained well, I would recommend going to programs in the south, such as LSU.

Big baller,

Per your post in an earlier thread I was under the impression from you all programs in the NE are "weak sauce." Also you seem to ask a lot of questions about the call schedule which shouldn't be an issue for you, go q1/2 strong.

I've gotta hand it to the original poster, with a name like ballztowallzomfs, she sure has a lot of balls writings posts about not wanting to take q2 call. Oh, and I love how edgy she is...she doesn't spell balls or walls the traditional way. No, she makes up her own rules and shuns what society has taught her. Heck even the autocorrect on SDN won't allow me to spell it the way she does. No matter, she's a rebel and will spell it ballz and wallz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice :poke: by the two above posters. Good stuff.

To the OP, probably best to direct these questions directly to someone at CWRU that can give you better answers than this forum. FWIW, when I interviewed there two years ago I was told you got paid 4/5 years but I am not sure if this was full stipend. Also don't know how much the med school costs. Call schedule seemed reasonable but I don't remember exactly.

I've gotta hand it to the original poster, with a name like ballztowallzomfs, she sure has a lot of balls writings posts about not wanting to take q2 call. Oh, and I love how edgy she is...she doesn't spell balls or walls the traditional way. No, she makes up her own rules and shuns what society has taught her. Heck even the autocorrect on SDN won't allow me to spell it the way she does. No matter, she's a rebel and will spell it ballz and wallz.
ballztowallzomfs said:

Big baller,

You do realize Ohio is in the Midwest?
Call schedule matters - especially if you are at a VERY busy program where you don't even have time to read cause you are worked to death. There is a fine balance between gaining experience and being used as cheap labor. Baller programs like LSU and Parkland have a ton of interns to help with call, so that residents can actually learn instead of being zombies.

My point still stand that a majority of the programs in the northeast are weak when compared to programs down south. You are exposed to a lot more in the south.

If anyone have info about the original question let me know.

You do realize Ohio is in the Midwest?
Call schedule matters - especially if you are at a VERY busy program where you don't even have time to read cause you are worked to death. There is a fine balance between gaining experience and being used as cheap labor. Baller programs like LSU and Parkland have a ton of interns to help with call, so that residents can actually learn instead of being zombies.

My point still stand that a majority of the programs in the northeast are weak when compared to programs down south. You are exposed to a lot more in the south.

If anyone have info about the original question let me know.

Truth be told, a "great" residency program does not make a great resident/future oral surgeon. A residency program is only as good as the time and effort a resident puts into it. I realize that this sounds a bit cliched, but it is the unfortunate truth. I don't think that the programs in the northeast are weak, and while they may not have the numbers that programs in the south have, their faculty are well respected in our field. It would be wise to not refer to any program as "weak" or "weak-sauce".

Your comment about call schedule and being used as cheap labor is unfortunate. I can confidently state that at both programs you listed their services are so busy that they need the interns to help run it. Being on call is no fun, but you learn to think independently and under pressure. Rather than looking at taking call as some terrible burden, look at it as an opportunity to learn.

I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you are a good candidate, but you shouldn't disparage any program on a public forum such as this by calling them weak. In the end, if you match, be happy that you matched no matter where it is because there are many others out there who are not in as fortunate of a situation.

Reactions: 1 users