Case Western Reserve Applied Anatomy

Started by Ralphy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ralphy

Ralphy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who has been through this program can comment if

1) It helped them to get into medical school

2) What schedule of core classes they followed - 1 1/2 years or 2 years?

3) Level of difficulty

Thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The program is a 2 year program. Some students try to rush through it and it is discouraged. The prg director stated you will get B's in this program but you will also get a full circulum of the first year of medical school including anatomy, neuro, histology, embryology and electives of biochem and the sort. Most of them in there are to enhance their gpa for medical school or dental school so you need to do well. He said those who try to do it all in one year end up with mostly B's so it doesn't help their gpa. If your not doing as well as what they want in the program they might put you on provisional acceptance to reduce the number of credits you can take. I honestly didn't see it as that many as its only 7 or so credits a semester. But the classes seem pretty tough. The program director said the avg gpa was 3.1-3.2. The class is with med students who are also doing a MD/MS degree, apparently about 20 students or so a year. So its a small program but they are planning on growing it I think. Tuition is for 30 credit hours so I think it works out to be about $40K for the 2 years. Haven't talked with any of the students but he said that those that have gotten into case (he said only a few very few a year) are far ahead of the curve and actually the school tries to put one student from that program in each of the groups to help out the others. It sounds like a solid program but I don't like that its 2 years. I might apply if things don't work out after my current post-bacc program.
 
Thanks mshheaddoc for the insight!!! Do you have any info on the number of people getting into medical school after completing the program?
 
That I do not have official numbers. If you call the program you might get more insight on that. He made it sound that if you did well in the program that you would do well. And it is a MS from Case Western 😉 So that's not too shabby. But then again, some have told me, what are you goign to do with a master's in anatomy? I told them not much but if it gets me into medical school. 🙂 I'd like to do the program but I found one that might suit my needs a bit better. I was mainly looking to do this to enhance my application to MD schools but I decided not to apply to any MD schools this cycle.
 
i am going to be starting the program this fall and from what i know talking with the dean, the program is extremely challenging.... since i have not started yet i don't have specific on the nature of the program, if i find any info aside from what msdoc... has posted i'll let u know
 
So the program said very few people get into case from this program per year? I wonder how many of those students get in at other schools especially if they apply after completing the first year so they start med school right after their second year. This sounds cool for out of staters because with other programs like smps at Cincinnati and MCO, they qualify for in state residency after one year.
 
Yes I've heard its extremely challenging and have considered doing this program over the LECOM post bacc but the LECOM program is 30 graduate credits for a year (like most other SMPs - although its only a cert program which I still don't understand but whatever). The MS program is only 15 credits a year and at this point I just want to get in to be a doctor. Doing this program this year while I apply should help. If not, then I'm doing the MS program next year at Case. If I hadn't gotten in at LECOM I would be enrolling this fall at Case but I didn't know about Case program until a few weeks ago.
 
Thanks everyone for the great info. Mshheadoc, do you happen to know the medical school (DO and MD) acceptance rate for those who have completed the LECOM program?
Thanks!!!
 
Thanks everyone for the great info. Mshheadoc, do you happen to know the medical school (DO and MD) acceptance rate for those who have completed the LECOM program?
Thanks!!!
I don't know exact numbers but I have heard very good things about the program. I have heard from other med students that post-baccers have gotten in at DO and MD schools. I can't remember which MD schools (don't know if harvard was on there 😉 ) and I know of someone at Touro and a few at UMDNJ. I'm going to try that first and if it works, then I won't need to go to Case. I'm excited about Case's classes though since they seem VERY in depth and they are with the medical students. So I'm sort of torn of staying in the city or having to be away from my husband during the week. I think the one year program for me fits in a better time frame but I like the name of Case and actually getting a degree (even if you can't do anything) with it.