CASPA App: Academic Infraction - Plagiarism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allen_tri

Reaction score
Was reprimanded for plagiarism during my first year of university. It has been more than 5 years since the incident and was looking into applying into PA programs.

CONTEXT - copied a quote from an author, didn't cite. Was reported for plagiarism, received disciplinary action and received an F in the course, retook the course later on. It was a mistake on behalf of my part, my intention was not to cheat.

Is all hope lost, does having an academic infraction for plagiarism just ruin my chances of getting into PA programs?

Does this incident come off as unintentional and will the admission committees cut me slack or if the admission committees see an academic infraction for plagiarism will they immediately write me off?

Any guidance on how I would go about explaining this situation to them?

If you have an academic infraction, they ask you to detail it "Include 1) a brief description of the incident and/or arrest, 2) specific charge made, 3) related dates, 4) consequence, and 5) a reflection on the incident and how the incident has impacted your life."

I am trying my best to write a statement to explain my situation but its challenging since they only give you 300 characters to work with.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here's what you put:

I didn’t cite a quote for a project. Received disciplinary action, failed the course, and retook it. Attribution standards are important, and need to apply broadly in terms of citations within lengthy assignments. I gained greater focus toward avoiding haste when preparing my academic work.