CASPer Scenario #2 - Communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

response_method

Full Member
Vendor
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Here's another CASPer scenario based on the latest test format. Please reply with your own responses if you'd like an idea of how you'd score:

Your roommate has developed a habit that is starting to bother you, but they seem completely unaware of it. You get along well otherwise, and you are worried that raising it could create awkwardness in a living situation you cannot easily change.

1. You have been putting off saying something for two weeks, and it is starting to affect how you interact at home. What would you do?

2. Assume your roommate asks directly whether everything is okay between you before you've had a chance to say something. How would you respond?


Try timing yourself with 3 mins 30 seconds total for both questions and see how you get on. I'll reply later with how I'd approach these questions, along with some tips on how to build a strong response.

Best wishes, Helena
 
Hi everyone,

Here are strong response examples to the scenarios and questions above:

Question 1

This is a difficult situation because I've let two weeks go by, and now the tension is starting to affect how I interact with someone I get along well with, which isn't fair to either of us.

My first step would be to pick a calm, ordinary moment, not right after the habit happens, and raise it directly but kindly, framing it as something I need rather than something they're doing wrong. I'd also come with one specific, workable adjustment in mind, so it's a solvable ask rather than a vague complaint they can't act on.

This matters because the longer I wait, the more it looks like avoidance rather than honesty, and a small, timely conversation protects the friendship far better than letting resentment build on one side.


Question 2

Assume your roommate asks directly whether everything is okay between you before you've had a chance to say something. How would you respond?

This is a genuine moment of truth because they've handed me the exact opening I've been avoiding, and dodging it now, right when they've asked outright, would do more damage than just being honest.

I'd tell them yes, we're okay, but there's something small I've been meaning to bring up, then name the specific habit clearly instead of softening it into nothing. I'd also reassure them that this isn't about the friendship itself, since that's probably what they're actually worried about underneath the question.

This is important because using the opening they gave me is more respectful of the relationship than protecting the moment from a bit of discomfort.


What makes these work

Both are Situational questions, so they're built on the same three moves: name what's actually difficult about the situation before doing anything, take specific action rather than a vague one, then say why that approach is the right one.

  • Q1 doesn't open with an action. It opens by naming the real tension, that two weeks of silence is already changing the friendship, which is what makes the "why" land later. Skipping straight to "I'd talk to them" is the most common way people lose points here.
  • The actions in both responses are concrete enough to actually picture: a calm, ordinary moment rather than "the right time," one specific adjustment rather than "a conversation." Vague actions read as good intentions, not a plan.
  • Q2 has to do something harder: pivot from a plan you'd been building toward an honest answer on the spot. The response doesn't pretend that's easy, it names the tension (dodging now would do more damage) before answering, which shows self-awareness under pressure rather than just reciting a script.
  • Both close by tying the approach to something evaluators are actually scoring: honesty, timing, respecting the relationship, instead of just restating what was already said. That's the line that turns "here's what I'd do" into "here's why this is the right call."